TP-Link Archer C7 v5 SSID disappears

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

playdoh

TP-Link Archer C7 v5 SSID disappears

Post by playdoh »

I bought a Tp-Lijnk Archer C7 v5 router refurbished on Amazon. I flashed it with gargoyle_1.12.0-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin and configured it as a wireless repeater. It seems to work fine. But approximately 2 days later, my devices that connect to the repeater wirelessly lose the connection and the SSID disappears/is gone. The computers that are hooked up to it via the lan ports are still running fine though. Rebooting doesn't fix it. I flashed back to the original TP-Link firmware and wireless was working again. So I did a system reset on the router and put Gargoyle 1.12 back on there again, did another reset and configured it it as a wireless repeater again. I also had it reboot every morning. 3 days later, same thing happened. All my wireless devices lose connections and the SSID disappears. Computers that are connected to the repeater via the lan ports are still working fine. Did anyone have a similar issue? Any suggestions on what I should do?

playdoh

Re: TP-Link Archer C7 v5 SSID disappears

Post by playdoh »

Okay, I was able to get wireless working by disabling the repeater and then reenabling it. I would still like to know what is causing this behavior and how I could fix it?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

What channel is the upstream network set to?

When you say that the devices connected by LAN still work, can they still reach the internet? Or just each other?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

playdoh

Post by playdoh »

Lantis wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:11 pm
What channel is the upstream network set to?

When you say that the devices connected by LAN still work, can they still reach the internet? Or just each other?
It's set on 36. The devices that are connected to the c7 via the lan ports are connected to the internet meaning the c7 is still connected to the main router. It's weird that the c7 stops broadcasting wirelessly.

Mr.nsingh2

Post by Mr.nsingh2 »

Hi, Sorry to bump an old thread, but same exact thing is happening to my ArcherC7v5 running 1.14.0 Gargoyle from last one month, I am also using this router as a wireless repeater. I have to physically attach a laptop using a LAN cable to one of the ports on the router to disable and enable WiFi, then it starts working but stops broadcasting WiFi id randomly sometimes in approximate 1-2days sometimes in a week-10 days. Is this hardware acting up or an issue with firmware?

Edit: Going to: Connection-->Basic and then selecting "Scan" in "SSID to Join" and scanning and selecting the SSID you want to join and then saving the changes re-enables the WiFi for random time period ranging from 2 days to few weeks. Here is a pic: "PS, I am getting an "unable to load pic as board data has been exceeded" error

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You can host the picture elsewhere and link it here.

I would need to see a log of when the wifi disabled to offer any advice sorry.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mr.nsingh2

Post by Mr.nsingh2 »

Sorry, I am unable to figure out how to view the logs. Meanwhile the router crashed again, this time I was unable to do a "scan and reconnect" to bring wifi back. Tried restoring the saved configuration file and the router GUI/web interface became inaccessible, though I was able to log in using SSH, But that didn't help much as I am not well versed in SSH/CLI. Decided to roll back to Gargoyle Version 1.13 (experimental) using the ...factory.bin file and Tftp route. The router is now back online and running stable from last 4 days. I am going to keep using Gargyole 1.13 for the time being.