Trying to build image for Raspberry Pi2

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Trying to build image for Raspberry Pi2

Post by Lantis »

Usually means your build environment is corrupt and needs to be deleted and refreshed.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Slyon

Post by Slyon »

I've tried with "make clean", it's not enough?
Better delete and redownload repo?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Sometimes it fixes but I've experienced it not.

Usually "make distclean" and "make cleanup", but a delete and redownload is sometimes necessary.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Slyon

Post by Slyon »

Ok i've tried to recompile it and learn something trying in different folders with different configurations..

First of all: I wasn't aware that if the terminal window is too small menu config will be skipped with a too fast to be seen message, and it will start building the default config of "ar71xx".

Newbie mistake. This was driving me crazy because probably i was configuring all and then compiling the wrong config...
I was convinced that once made the configuration, make continues to rebuild from files of custom-src! :roll: Too much
coincidences have made me think that.. And it was only my terminal windows size that sometimes were big enough and sometimes not.. the right times to let me think that. :lol:

It would be useful even to know that if you install UglifyJS globally, build are fast and consume less data everytime you clean to make sure that everything is ok.

curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_4.x | sudo -E bash -
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
sudo npm install uglify-js -g

Now i'm trying a new build with more confidence on how config works!

EDIT:

Sigh.. error compiling 1.8 for Raspberry Pi 1 with gargoyle web panel:

Code: Select all

ERROR: module '/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-arm_arm1176jzf-s+vfp_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-brcm2708/linux-3.10.49/net/ipv4/netfilter/*weburl*.ko' is missing.
modules/netfilter.mk:685: recipe for target '/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/bin/brcm2708/packages/base/kmod-ipt-weburl_3.10.49-1-a40b54f0747339f554c6e5bd7b75216c_brcm2708.ipk' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/bin/brcm2708/packages/base/kmod-ipt-weburl_3.10.49-1-a40b54f0747339f554c6e5bd7b75216c_brcm2708.ipk] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/package/kernel/linux'
package/Makefile:175: recipe for target 'package/kernel/linux/compile' failed
make[3]: *** [package/kernel/linux/compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src'
package/Makefile:172: recipe for target '/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-arm_arm1176jzf-s+vfp_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/stamp/.package_compile' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-arm_arm1176jzf-s+vfp_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src'
/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src/include/toplevel.mk:171: set di istruzioni per l'obiettivo "world" non riuscito
make[1]: *** [world] Errore 2
make[1]: uscita dalla directory "/home/stockmind/gargoyle/custom-src"
Where i can get the file?

EDIT 2:
Tried with another fresh downloaded repo.
Branch 1.9.

make custom

Target System (Broadcom BCM2708/BCM2709)
Subtarget (BCM2708 based boards)
Target Profile (Raspberry Pi 1)
Administration -> Web Interface ->
selected gargoyle, languages, themes, webshell ad interface

Saved profile
Killed process with Ctrl+c.

Made a target folder named "rpi" with the new created config

make rpi

If i let continue the making without killing the process, it would build the standard "ar71xx" and not the config saved.

Image building successful.

I will try to flash later the image and test if everything is working :)

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

In my experience, you only get the menu up the first time unless you pass in FULL_BUILD=true.

Had the issue with *weburl*.ko' is missing on my latest attempt, will try a re-download.

Incidentally, if I want to grab the very latest source, I assume I can just do a "git pull" and source will be updated...are there any issues with doing that?

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Re-downloaded and rebuilt (twice - once with BUILD_THREADS=24 and once without specifying, just to ensure there wasn't some issue there) - still getting missing *weburl*.ko error.

Latest config (ab.config) shared to google drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Latest build failed with:

if [ -f /home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/pkginfo/linux.default.install.clean ]; then rm -f /home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/pkginfo/linux.default.install /home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/pkginfo/linux.default.install.clean; fi; echo "kmod-nfnetlink" >> /home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/pkginfo/linux.default.install
ERROR: module '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-3.18.23/net/ipv4/netfilter/*weburl*.ko' is missing.
modules/netfilter.mk:887: recipe for target '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/bin/ar71xx/packages/base/kmod-ipt-weburl_3.18.23-1-b52231eb3dbb3d23d7171dd40c4b499c_ar71xx.ipk' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/bin/ar71xx/packages/base/kmod-ipt-weburl_3.18.23-1-b52231eb3dbb3d23d7171dd40c4b499c_ar71xx.ipk] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/package/kernel/linux'
package/Makefile:193: recipe for target 'package/kernel/linux/compile' failed
make[3]: *** [package/kernel/linux/compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src'
package/Makefile:190: recipe for target '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.package_compile' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src'
/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/include/toplevel.mk:181: recipe for target 'world' failed
make[1]: *** [world] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src'
cp: cannot stat ‘bin/ar71xx/uboot-ar71xx-nbg460n_550n_550nh:’: No such file or directory

Slyon

Post by Slyon »

If you look closely to your error you can see that, like in my case, it's trying to build something for "ar71xx" and not brcm (raspberry).

ERROR: module '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-3.18.23/net/ipv4/netfilter/*weburl*.ko' is missing.
modules/netfilter.mk:887: recipe for target '/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/bin/ar71xx/packages/base/kmod-ipt-weburl_3.18.23-1-b52231eb3dbb3d23d7171dd40c4b499c_ar71xx.ipk' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/andrew/gargoyle/custom-src/bin/ar71xx/packages/base/kmod-ipt-weburl_3.18.23-1-b52231eb3dbb3d23d7171dd40c4b499c_ar71xx.ipk] Error 1

Try to follow this steps:

0. Open your terminal as wide as you can
1. Clean everything:

Code: Select all

make distclean
make cleanup
2. make custom
3. Select everything you need
4. Save profile (Do not exit from menuconfig)
5. Copy generated configuration from /custom-src/ into something like gargoyle/targets/raspberry/profiles/default/ named as "config" like the others targets config. (i've put even "profile-images" file got from the "custom/profiles/default/config", dunno if needed or not (it only contain a "-") )
6. Press Ctrl+C to kill the menuconfig process, and press again to kill the building process
7. now "make raspberry"

For my experience it compile and build like a charm doing that.
If i don't do that it keeps trying to compile the default custom config file related to ar71xx architecture instead of the newly generated custom one.

Tried with fresh downloaded repo and no problem.
I will try to re-compile and post my and your configuration in the next few days if you want.

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Thanks for the tip! Will fire up my compiler VM and give that a burl. Let you know it went in an hour or two. Is the problem component something Gargoyle specific? Wonder if that's why I had a successful completion when I accidentally built it without the WebUI?

Edit: Build was good, got me an image...

Slyon

Post by Slyon »

Image with WebUI?
So this procedure works also for you?

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Absolutely. Worked great. My new image boots, and I have the Gargoyle web interface working as I'd expected. Will leave further experimentation with it for tomorrow. Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions!

When I mentioned an image without a webUI, I'd managed to build it once with the normal script a few weeks ago, but had forgotten to include most of the gargoyle features in it (so perhaps that was why it worked when nothing I've done since (until now) did). Could only connect to that build via SSH.

My build I've just finished on the other hand works as expected, and can be accessed via the browser. I was able to log in, change password, enable HTTPS. Beyond that I didn't do much playing (haven't connected any of my USB network adapters yet). I expect I may have a bit of fun with that...will just have to see.

If anyone would like to play with my image, you can get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6k4A ... Gg5cWRLcjg

Built all the features and languages except for wireless scheduling.