Kamikaze restore to Backfire

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

pbix
Developer

Kamikaze restore to Backfire

Post by pbix »

Eric,
Looking at the backup/restore function I see that Gargoyle saves and restores the contents of /etc/rc.d amoung other things. I have noticed that Backfire has several differences in /etc/rc.d vs. kamikaze. So it looks like anyone who restores settings on backfire will mess things up a little.

The changes seem most to do with the boot order of the files.

Anyway someone thought these changes important. Maybe Gargoyle should not restore as it does in the backfire release.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

BikeMike

Re: Kamikaze restore to Backfire

Post by BikeMike »

I have restored my config from 1.2.4 onto 1.3.1, haven't noticed any problems yet except what seems to be a bug in web monitoring excluding multiple IPs (mentioned in another thread).

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It's important to backup the rc.d directory because this backs up the links to the enabled init scripts. For example, this is how we save whether or not miniupnp or QoS is enabled.

It's true that there may be some discrepancies between Kamikaze and backfire here, but that's to be expected. I'm less concerned about making sure the backup/restore works between stable/experimental branches as I am making sure that it works within each branch. There's a report in another thread that sometimes a configuration can cause the router to die whenever restored from, which is a more serious bug that I'm looking into right now.

Also the web monitoring bug BikeMike is referring to should be fixed in 1.3.2.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Its interesting to me what you said about the backup/restore causing a router to die. This has happened to me. I cannot get any response in failsafe mode either although I can see the failsafe mode LED pattern blinking.

So I have bought a JTAG cable to try an recover my test router but if you find anything else out about this let me know.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

What kind of router is this happening to?

I could see Broadcom units maybe?

But as far as Atheros - if there is a Redboot, you should at least
be able to get to a Redboot prompt and erase the flash, then
do a fresh load either via TFTP or the Fon-Flash utility.

Are the bricked (or semi-bricked) units Broadcoms?
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

My test router is a broadcom WRT54-TM
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Sorry to hear you're having troubles -- I'm still trying to sort out the configuration issue, but I am working on it.

Have you tried to restore the router via TFTP? That's probably the most reliable way.

alenhoff

Post by alenhoff »

had the same problem. but it didn't happen until the power went out and then came back on the router was showing same signs. tried tftp and couldn't get it to send so i used this after setting a static ip within the subnet of the router.
i also pinged the routers ip while i unplugged it and powered it back up. once the ping was successful which for some reason took a few power cycles. just fill out the ip number of the router, the .bin file you want to send and once the ping is successful click send. if all goes well your router should reboot and be accessible by the stock ip address and password. hope it helps.

DrayTek Router Tools - OSX/Windows: This program will run all those pesky TFTP commands with a push of a button. Simply download and install DrayTek router tools from here and follow the instructions: http://www.draytek.com.au/downloads.php

1) Run 'Draytek Firmware Upgrade',

2) Specify your *.bin file.

3) Plug in your router and hit send, if you get a "can't send" message, hit ok and try sending again. As long as you have a manual IP address on the same subnet as your router, and your router is pingable, it should eventually go through (reboot the router if you can't send for more than a minute).

4) When the send is successful, you should see a progress bar as the file is sent.

5) Wait approximately two minutes, and your router should become accessible.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

In my case I got no ping responses. So I do not think there would be any software solution.

I did get my jtag cable and was able to erase the kernel and reload gargoyle. Situation back to running and I learned how to use the jtag tools.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

alenhoff

Post by alenhoff »

glad to hear you got everything back up and running.