"custom-src/.config" needed

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

technotic

Re: "custom-src/.config" needed

Post by technotic »

What the OP was asking for, I believe, is the .config file that eric used to create the pre-built images that are available for download from the Download section. I, too, have an interest in this... The reason being, is that the images available for download are functional and working. It is assumed that they don't have extra, unnecessary packages or conflicting packages added in. It would be a great learning tool, to see the .config files that were used to build the working images for each device.

What are the chances of eric sharing those .config files with us? even if just once for each major release/revision, to use as a solid base to work from.I would personally like to compare it to my own configs to help troubleshoot why I am unable to get certain things to work, or to help determine the necessity of packages in my own config. I would also like to be able to load one as a starting point when working with different releases or different routers. It would certainly be a huge help to be able to do a "make distclean", load the preset config for a router, and know that I'm essentially building the same image that is available for download from the website

I have spent a LOT of trial and error time building gargoyle for both of my routers (WNDR3700v1/ar71xx and WNDR3400v2/brcm47xx/mips74k) and even though my 3700 is stable for a while now, I'd like to compare my config to the distro build. And yes, I realize that the WNDR3400v2 is not supported, but I have openwrt successfully stable on it for some time now, and I actually built my first functionally working gargoyle image for it today :) The main issue with it seems to be the broadcom wireless driver support, but I don't want wifi enabled on this particular device anyways, so its not an issue for me.

Anyway, I do appreciate the time and effort that eric and the others have put into this project, and I am thankful for what information and resources are available currently. However, I feel that one of the purposes of opensource software is for collaberation, allowing others to build on what already exists instead of reinventing the proverbial wheel.

i'm not sure if eric will see this or read it, so perhaps I'll try contacting him about it and see what he says. I love the work he has done and I plan to continue using gargoyle on my routers. I already budgeted for a donation after the holidays, to show my support and appreciation of the project.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The are available mate :)

Just need to figure out which one is relevant to your router.

This one is for the WNDR3700v2
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... rge/config

This is the generic brcm47xx config
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... ult/config

But as you say we dot current do the 3400 :)

If it's easy to add (including wifi, otherwise not worth it) then consider contributing to the code :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

technotic

Post by technotic »

oh, nice :) thanks, i didn't know that. my 3700 is the v1, but i'm can adjust the link on my own. thank you! and i will see what i can do. i've bricked the 3400v2 more times than i can count. the 3700v1 is hard to brick because powering it up while holding in the reset will put it into recovery mode with tftpd running. as long as i don't screw up u-boot, it'll be fine. but the 3400v2 needs to be boot-interrupted with ctrl-c via console to get the CFE prompt, and then tftpd manually started. i didn't know that until my first bricking, but i picked up a prolific TTL serial-to-usb cable off amazon, drilled a hole in the side of the plastic case, and its now a permanent part of the router.when i eventually pick up a newer router (next month or two i hope), i'll get another cable for that one.

i'm almost certainly going to avoid broadcom chipset in the future ;) but the 3400v2 was given to me by my neighbor when he moved so i can't complain too much. and its one of those fun learning challenges that has helped me learn more than i ever wanted to know about embedded systems LOL.

anyway thanks for the info, and once i get something a little more release-quality, i'll gladly put it in. i did have the wireless working in openwrt but i have kept it disabled so i have less variables working against me. bcma bus ftl :(

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

technotic wrote:i picked up a prolific TTL serial-to-usb cable off amazon, drilled a hole in the side of the plastic case, and its now a permanent part of the router
I like your style :-)
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Broadcom is certainly a pain!

A lot of the configurations for the 3700's are linked.
I *think* 3700v1 config controls v1,2 and the 3800! Lol!
The 3700v3 is a Broadcom so it is seperate and the 3700v4 has nand flash so it is seperated also.

A bit confusing at first. I think one of the more confusing platforms to start with ;) but good luck to you!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.