OpenWRT Version Update Policy

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

adam777

OpenWRT Version Update Policy

Post by adam777 »

Hello all,
With the recently released version 1.6.0, I noticed it is running on the same OpenWRT revision as did 1.5.11.
Out of curiosity, is there a formal policy as to when to upgrade the OpenWRT version?
It seems that major OpenWRT milestones are followed (12.09 beta, 12.09 beta 2 etc.), but how about in-between?
For example, 1.5.11 was based on a revision newer than 12.09 final.
In other words, should I expect a version that is based on a newer revision before the next stable release of OpenWRT?
Thanks, Adam.

PS. Long question, but really just of curiosity, nothing in particular.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: OpenWRT Version Update Policy

Post by Eric »

There isn't really a formal policy.

The main reason I bump the OpenWRT revision is to include new, particularly useful things that have been added recently. Looking at the OpenWRT "Attitude Adjustment" branch commit log, it does not seem much that would be relevant/useful has changed recently. For this reason, I've chosen to stick with what I know works. If major bugfixes relevant to the software being used by Gargoyle are introduced, the revision will be updated.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi Eric
is openwrt BB a newer branch? and will Gargoyle 1.7 be baste on it?
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

adam777

Post by adam777 »

Eric wrote:There isn't really a formal policy.

The main reason I bump the OpenWRT revision is to include new, particularly useful things that have been added recently. Looking at the OpenWRT "Attitude Adjustment" branch commit log, it does not seem much that would be relevant/useful has changed recently. For this reason, I've chosen to stick with what I know works. If major bugfixes relevant to the software being used by Gargoyle are introduced, the revision will be updated.
Thanks for the quick reply, Eric.