Hi, I need some help to build my custom version of gargoyle:
downloaded the sources via

Code: Select all

svn co https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle
and issued

cd trunk
make custom
then saved config from 'openwrt-menuconfig' and after while got the following error

make  install-recursive
make[8]: Entering directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
Making install in .
make[9]: Entering directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
make[10]: Entering directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
make[10]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[10]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[10]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
make[9]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
make[8]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16/tests'
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16'
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/build_dir/host/m4-1.4.16'
mkdir -p /home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/staging_dir/host/stamp
touch /home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/staging_dir/host/stamp/.m4_installed
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/tools/m4'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src'
make[2]: *** [/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.tools_install_nnnnn] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src'
make[1]: *** [world] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/spesa/gargoyle/trunk/custom-src'
find: `bin': No such file or directory
find: `bin': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access bin: No such file or directory
spesa@ubts64:~/gargoyle/trunk$
Environment:
ubuntu server12.04.3LTS@amd64

Please need any hint or help!
Last edited by sly on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooker

Re: build error

Post by ooker »

I just tried building gargoyle from source for the first time, and I'm seeing the same issue on Ubuntu server 11.10 64-bit.

Is this an issue recently introduced in the source, or is there a different recommended OS/build environment that folks are using that does not encounter this issue?

sly

Post by sly »

It compiles fine on Linux x32, so it has something to do with linux x64 OS...

BashfulBladder

Post by BashfulBladder »

I compile under Mac OS X 10.6.8 (64 bit). My last full build was Sept 11, OpwnWrt r37923. 75 minutes soup-to-nuts with 6 threads.

I have also compiled under Linux Mint 14 32bit under Parallels VM, but that was many months ago.
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki

BashfulBladder

Post by BashfulBladder »

Edit - (I thought sly was building OpenWrt's trunk - I didn't realize when you do a svn checkout, the 'trunk' folder is created. All development that I know of happens via git/github - and it's called the 'master' branch.)

The gargoyle git server seems to be down, but this works just fine:

git clone https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle.git
Is there some reason why you are compiling a custom firmware? I ask because make custom is somewhat broken from what I understand.
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)

sly

Post by sly »

@BashfulBladder
BashfulBladder wrote: Is there some reason why you are compiling a custom firmware? I ask because make custom is somewhat broken from what I understand.
Simple, I wanted to compile a atheros/nand build for MikroTik device.
And I did ;)

ooker

Post by ooker »

I still need some help--I've tried 2 different 32-bit linux environments and I still get the same error.

For folks who are getting Gargoyle to build under linux what distribution and version of linux are you using?

I've tried (in VMWare Fusion 6 on MacOS 10.8.5):
32-bit Ubuntu 13.04
32-bit Mint Linux 14.1

And performed these steps and I still get error that started this thread:

sudo apt-get install build-essential asciidoc binutils bzip2 gawk gettext git libncurses5-dev libz-dev patch unzip zlib1g-dev subversion flex uglifyjs
git clone https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle.git
cd gargoyle
make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx.usb_large

I've also tried just make with no options or specific targets and I get the same error.

What am I doing wrong?
Would someone point me to a working 32-bit linux environment (e.g. what exact distribution is working for you) for building Gargoyle, and I'll just setup a new VMWare image and try that?

For building on OS X, what is the setup/config being used? Are you using tools provided by Apple, or tools installed via homebrew? Do you have any specific details that you could provide?

BashfulBladder

Post by BashfulBladder »

I only compile on Mac OS X 10.6.8 these days. This is the write up I did of the process:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=3808

Of critical importance to getting a complete build is that export $PATH command (which puts the updated GNU binaries ahead of any older Apple binaries).

ooker

Post by ooker »

@sly

When you said,
sly wrote: "It compiles fine on Linux x32, so it has something to do with linux x64 OS..."
What environment are you using? Did you simply pull from master and build, or was there more involved in getting a working build environment? I have tried 32-bit Ubuntu and 32-bit Mint 14.1 without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sly

Post by sly »

@ooker

I am using ubuntu server 12.04 x32 on intel x86 hw for this task.
The build environment was prepared while playing with openwrt.
Pulled the gargoyle source like I stated in the first post (via svn).
Remark on gargoyle - that didn't worked for me on 64-bit ubuntu (amd64) so I tested the 32-bit version.

I hope you'll get it working :)