NAT Loopback

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

insidious1

NAT Loopback

Post by insidious1 »

(not sure if right forum)

wanted to know if Gargoyle supports NAT Loopback if so, how would i go ahead configuring it?

thanks!

pbix
Developer

Re: NAT Loopback

Post by pbix »

The answer is no, how to do it would be taken up over at openwrt.org.

I want to know why you want to use "NAT loopback" and what you hope to accomplish with this that could not be accomplished in another way.

I am just not familiar with what this is needed for and it has not come up previously in the Gargoyle forum.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

insidious1

Post by insidious1 »

pbix wrote: I am just not familiar with what this is needed for and it has not come up previously in the Gargoyle forum.
basically connecting a client a server hosted on the LAN by using the public WAN address.

see here also;
http://support.draytek.net.au/index.php ... or-routers

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Normally a single port forward is needed to host server on your LAN which can then be connected from the WAN provided your ISP gives you a public IP address. So why use DMZ?

Then to connect to the server from the LAN side you can use the local private IP address. The above can be done with Gargoyle out of the box.

If you really need to use the public IP address to access the server from LAN side I am sure it can be done but will require some work and study on your part.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

insidious1

Post by insidious1 »

no probs, i just have had bad experience with DMZ in the past.. lol
will try it once i get this router (DMZ is best option since ill have alot of ports needing to be opened on this server)

thanks!

nicram

Post by nicram »

Oh, i as asking for this some time ago, also no help.
@pbix loopback over NAT can be used when some computer inside LAN is used as server (with DMZ or port forwarding), and other ones try to access it with external IP, because it got domain name attached to that IP, and some services like FTP, HTTP can act differently on local and external IP because of needs and configuration. And yes, i used this many, many, many times with other firmwares (default one and dd-wrt).

@insidious1: to do it for www/ftp i have configured my internet browser to use some external proxy (w3cache) and then you can access things same way other see them from outside world.
TL-WR1043ND HW v1.8 | FW Gargoyle 1.5.X (Built 20120504-1907 git@2bf3cf2) | 2 Mbit | PPPoE

sunnyd71

Post by sunnyd71 »

This would be quite useful. I have an FTP connection setup amongst other server programs that I access on my phone and laptop using a DDNS address. When I'm connected to my home wi-fi, I'd like them to work over LAN, but having it connect at all would be helpful. Since the devices move from home to external networks, the configuration for the IP of the server would constantly change unless NAT loopback is used.

More difficult is when using the ftp as a file source for a centrally stored XBMC database. You cannot switch back and fourth between a local and remote IP address without rebuilding your entire media library each time.

So DD-WRT supports this? How about tomato?