Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Gargoyle Git Source Builds

Post by Eric »

You're right above, you should specify ar71xx in the make command:

Code: Select all

make V=99 FULL_BUILD=true GARGOYLE_VERSION="1.3.16-markc" ar71xx
That was an error on my part in the last post -- sorry. However, I don't know why it isn't compiling for you -- I just rebuilt from source yesterday and everything got built just fine with exactly that command.

You may want to try adding FULL_BUILD=true, if you had an old version lying around that could have caused a problem for building if you didn't specify this. Of course if you were building from a clean clone of the repo it shouldn't make a difference.

markc

Post by markc »

Damn, I am still getting this error.

Code: Select all

chown root /home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/usr/bin/fusermount
chown: changing ownership of `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/usr/bin/fusermount': Operation not permitted
make[8]: [install-exec-hook] Error 1 (ignored)
chmod u+s /home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/usr/bin/fusermount
mknod /home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/dev/fuse -m 0666 c 10 229 || true
mknod: `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/ipkg-install/dev/fuse': Operation not permitted
make[8]: Leaving directory `/home/markc/Devel/gargoyle/ar71xx-src/build_dir/linux-ar71xx/fuse-2.8.3/util'
I'll try a fresh checkout as root and see if that makes any difference.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

markc,

I just tried a compile off of the Git repository.

I created a new gargoyle folder, and cloned the git in there

Once that was done, I did no changes, all I did was run the command

make -j 3 -i ar71xx

And it did compile all the ar71xx firmwares

(-j 3 because I've got a dual-core cpu and -i to ignore any errors)
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

markc

Post by markc »

Build dependency: Please do not compile as root.

So I can't build as root. Thanks Eric and DoesItMatter as I know for sure it should work. My Archlinux x86_64 system must be missing something that allows those fuse chmod/chown commands to work but I have sudo and fakeroot on board. The one thing I noticed was that the build was calling for /usr/bin/fusermount whereas mine (host version) was in /bin/fusermount so I symlinked it to /usr/bin but it still failed.

I'll have to install Ubuntu I guess but I need to get this to work on Archlinux, to be really useful, as I want to create a source PKGBUILD that automates the process.

markc

Post by markc »

make -i, Ignore all errors in commands executed to remake files.

Thanks DoesItMatter, I have what looks like a complete build but I know those errors were just ignored so I'm not sure I should actually use the firmware. Anyway, I can proceed with tinkering with some additions and build scripts and perhaps try them in qemu.