Is that possible?

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

Gargoyle87

Is that possible?

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Hello! :D

First of all, I am not a technical and I know nothing about programming or writing Linux codes... But I have one suggestion on Gargoyle development which I do not know whether it may be done, or it is just an unrealistic dream... :roll:

Is it possible to modify Gargoyle so that the router sends the logs (bandwidth, traffic and other data) through e-mail, so that the router administrator inserts his e-mail and its password (and to make it an easy code, the option may be limited to a specific e-mail server such as hotmail or yahoo), then the router will start sending the logs to that e-mail (the router signs in automatically to that e-mail, then sends a message to the same e-mail). :P

If that is possible, we will not be worry about the space availability on the flash memory anymore, or about wearing out the flash, also the rate of data storage may be once in every few seconds instead of once per day (because e-mails do not wear out). :lol:

So is that possible? :?:

Lucky75

Re: Is that possible?

Post by Lucky75 »

Er, I would think that running an SMTP server on the router would probably take up more memory than the logs, but I could be mistaken ;)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I hadn't thought about sending update info via email... but it had occurred to me that at some point it might make sense to allow periodic updates to an external SQL database, to store the data. That would require just a SQL client (no server).

However, (1) I would still save a significant amount of data locally since to allow the real-time bandwidth graphs to update in real time (constantly fetching from a server might be kind of slow) and (2) this isn't trivial and even if/when I do get around to it, it may end up specific to one SQL database implementation (e.g. mySQL).

So.. yes it's possible. It's just not my top priority right now. (Right now I'm working like mad to increase stability and decrease memory usage of quotas/access restrictions -- almost there! Just a few more days!).

Gargoyle87

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Thanks for your reply! :)
I agree with you; increasing stability and decreasing memory usage is undoubtedly more important. :D