x86 KVM Gargoyle

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

x86 KVM Gargoyle

Post by stuartbh »

All,

I am interested to understand if there are any instructions speaking to how to get the current x86 build of Gargoyle and set it up to run under KVM (say under ProxMox for example)?

I love Gargoyle but am starting to replace the consumer grade WiFi routers I have with commercial stuff like Cisco 819HGW routers or Ruckus 7662S type routers (granted the Ruckus runs Linux, but I have not yet figured out how to change its firmware).

These routers provide excellent coverage and I would just love to point them to their only gateway of Gargoyle running on a VM!

Thanks in advance!
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Re: x86 KVM Gargoyle

Post by Lantis »

I wrote this short guide for getting it running under Hyper-V
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x86

I expect the same will work for something like ProxMox. You might need to change from a vhdx to another format?
I got it running under ESXi using the same instructions, but i've never tried proxmox.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 am
I wrote this short guide for getting it running under Hyper-V
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x86

I expect the same will work for something like ProxMox. You might need to change from a vhdx to another format?
I got it running under ESXi using the same instructions, but i've never tried proxmox.
Thanks for your brisk reply.

It looks like it will not be a big deal to get this going on ProxMox.

Unfortunately my ProxMox server didn't reboot the other day and I need to figure out why and fix it. I have not done that yet as I plan to deploy a new UPS to my rack later in the week and have to shut the entire rack down anyway, thereafter I will get everything back online. I also have a graduate class I have an exam to take by Wednesday 8PM PT for also.

As I try it I will do my best to keep track of all my steps so that you can potentially add them into your guide.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes please do. It would be good to add more examples.
Don't forget to look for OpenWrt examples with proxmox as well. They should apply much the same.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 pm
Yes please do. It would be good to add more examples.
Don't forget to look for OpenWrt examples with proxmox as well. They should apply much the same.
I'd be more than happy to generate such documentation. However, this project has gone on hold on the count of my NUC going belly up on me. Granted, Intel is taking care of it under warranty, but I am awaiting the arrival of the new one. Once I get it and have my ProxMox server back online I will try to get this going!
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Terramoto

Post by Terramoto »

Hey,

I was just looking for this myself and manage to set it up on Proxmox. First, I created a new VM with an empty disk and then i ran the following commands:

Code: Select all

qm importdisk VMID gargoyle.img local-lvm
qm rescan
After that the disk would show up on the Hardware Section of the VM, I then detach the empty disk and delete it and attached the gargoyle one to the VM. That's it.
Last edited by Terramoto on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Terramoto,

Of all the X86 images I see on the Gargoyle website, two are 64bit images (so the rest I ignored).

One is a ext4 image (which I did get to boot up) and the other is an "squashfs" image. Of what use is the squashfs image on x86 boxes that have far more disk space than a router has?

Thanks in advance!
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist