Gargoyle IPv6 Testing

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

duyfken

Re: Gargoyle IPv6 Testing

Post by duyfken »

So, I'm trying to get IPv6 dual stack WAN working with 1.13.X (Built 20220115-0541 git@54463e40) on a Archer C7v5 but not getting anywhere right now... I've activated IPv6 on Superloop's (ISP) end, and I understand you need to activate DHCPv6 for the WAN, but Superloop says the below for the IPv6 details. Do I need to tweak the Prefix mask, Sub-prefix, Host ID for this to work?
Your Framed Address is XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXX:1::1.

Your Delegated Prefix is XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXX::/56.

When enabling IPv6, the following will take effect:

You will continue to receive an IPv4 address, whether static or dynamic.
A dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 WAN session will be established.
A static /128 framed IPv6 address will be assigned to your WAN session.
A static /56 IPv6 prefix will be delegated for your LAN.

Your IPv6 access device/router should assign /64 subnets to its interfaces after it obtains a DHCPv6 PD lease. It should then offer the prefix to your hosts via IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That all sounds like a pretty simple setup and shouldn’t require any special tweaks.
Are you getting any ipv6? Have you checked the logs, and maybe an ifstatus wan6 and ifstatus lan might be useful.

You could try setting the assignment mask to 64, but if they’re delegating you a /56 then the default 60 should be fine and I don’t believe they can block that.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

duyfken

Post by duyfken »

Lantis wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:24 am
Have you checked the logs
Where are they located? I'm assuming I need to SSH into the router?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes. There’s a logread plugin but it’s easier (in my opinion) to ssh in.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

duyfken

Post by duyfken »

So we had a power outage the other day for a couple of hours and all of a sudden the IPv6 decided to connect :lol: But when you try anything other than DNS servers from the ISP, it doesn't connect via IPv6 (only IPv4). Strangely it also seems to like changing the WAN MAC to the same as the WiFi/LAN MAC when non-ISP DNS servers are delegated too.... :?

So I can connect to SSH via 'ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa root@192.168.2.1'... but where are the logs located exactly? /tmp/log/lastlog appears to be empty when trying to access it with vi

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Just run the following commands (type them and press enter) and copy the output to a text file or to pastebin so you can share a link here.

Code: Select all

logread
ifstatus lan
ifstatus wan
ifstatus wan6
cat /etc/config/network
These will contain your ip addresses and mac addresses so if you're precious about sharing them feel free to PM me.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Unfortunately there was nothing particularly revealing in the logs. I did note that you were requesting a /64 instead of a /60, not sure if this would make a difference.
It looks like you have a modem or ISP router sitting in front of your connection? Is it getting IPv6? And is it set up to pass that on downstream?

It is hard to say whether this is a problem with Gargoyle or your network. If you had the time and effort to attempt to get it working via OpenWrt, and were successful, then i would be interested to compare configurations and see if we can get to the bottom of it.

duyfken

Post by duyfken »

Lantis wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:49 pm
It looks like you have a modem or ISP router sitting in front of your connection? Is it getting IPv6? And is it set up to pass that on downstream?
When it was successfully connected dual stack after the power outage, I changed the DNS servers away from ISPs choice, and then it wouldn't connect via IPv6, so I changed it to /64 or /56 from /60 to try and see if that would help (as you previously mentioned) to no avail.

The only thing upstream of the router is the NBN NTD (thanks to FTTP), so you'd hope it's set to pass everything on...

I might give OpenWRT a go this weekend when everyone else has gone walkabout.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I have access to a Belong and Telstra FTTP connection i could test on, but that may not reveal anything related to Superloop. But i can give it a go if you don't have much success.

oliver44

Post by oliver44 »

PPPoE dual stack IPv6 dinamic /64 prin DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (RFC 3769)

http://s.go.ro/2nx1irmw
wdr3600 rev1.4 OpenWrt
wrt1900ACS v.2 OpenWrt/DD-WRT
GL-MT6000 OpenWrt/Gargoyle