DHCP lease problems upgrading from 1.10 to 1.11

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

joequant

DHCP lease problems upgrading from 1.10 to 1.11

Post by joequant »

Just a note. I found that when I upgraded from 1.10 to 1.11 and saved the settings, that the new image would not issue DHCP leases. I had the same problem with I upgraded from 1.10 to 1.11 and restored a 1.10 backup file on 1.11.

I do realize that this is what I get for living on the bleeding edge, but I just wanted to put together a note so that other people can avoid the same issues.

ispyisail

Re: DHCP lease problems upgrading from 1.10 to 1.11

Post by ispyisail »

joequant wrote:Just a note. I found that when I upgraded from 1.10 to 1.11 and saved the settings, that the new image would not issue DHCP leases. I had the same problem with I upgraded from 1.10 to 1.11 and restored a 1.10 backup file on 1.11.

I do realize that this is what I get for living on the bleeding edge, but I just wanted to put together a note so that other people can avoid the same issues.
Its a design limitation

You have to manually re-program your router from scratch when doing major revision jumps

joequant

Post by joequant »

I've also found the same behavior when I run a upgrade from 1.11 another 1.11 image. Resetting the router parameters isn't a big deal, but the only real annoyance is that I have to redo all of my openvpn configs, since the router generates new openvpn keys.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

redo all of my openvpn configs
I have the exact same problem

joequant

Post by joequant »

Would be nice to have an export/import server key option for openvpn.

Also I found out what was causing the dhcp problems. Nothing to do with the gargoyle router. I had added an "idiot-proof" home wire network extender, and that box had in internal dhcp server. So when I upgraded my router, the dhcp server on that box started to issue leases and stealing them from the router.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Thanks for reporting