Feature request: Connection uptime

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

caeci11ius

Feature request: Connection uptime

Post by caeci11ius »

There was a request for this a while ago, but as far as I can see nothing ever came of it. Just wanted to bring the idea to the fore again. It's pretty useful as here in Australia we're able to change how aggressive the sync settings are on our ADSL ports. If the connection's dropping periodically, that's pretty shite, but you want to otherwise run it as fast as you can. Connection uptime helps you check this.

I don't think it'd be too much work, as there's already a check for connectivity (every 15 seconds or so). Perhaps it'd be simple enough to write out the time of each connection check, and then subtract the original value where the connection ping test first succeeded from the current time? Opinions?

pbix
Developer

Re: Feature request: Connection uptime

Post by pbix »

My DSL modem has a web page which has this information. Did you look there to see if yours does?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

It may do, but as I've got it in bridge mode, using PPPoE to connect, I'm not so sure as the connection is established by Gargoyle. At any rate, it's hard to get at as I have to unplug my network from it and plug in a computer directly...

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Actually Gargoyle makes access to your modems web page quite painless. You can access this page without unplugging anything.

Please read
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... dem#p4927

Let me know how it works for you.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

Thanks for that info pbix...had to reconfigure my modem a little to put it in a different subnet, but that does work quite easily :). Sadly, as it turns out the modem has no uptime counter...but it's still quite useful to be able to access it simply :-)

shortthatcircuit

Post by shortthatcircuit »

This is the only feature that is missing from gargoyle, at least for adsl users. There is not a single way that I can monitor the uptime of my pppoe connection as my adsl modem is a bridge and gargoyle is the one responsible for connecting.

I couldn't even find a command that echos useful information about this too.

Please consider it pbix (or any guy in the team). It would put our puny minds at ease, we adsl users.

Thank you!