Firewall rules disappearing

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cr0n_J0b

Firewall rules disappearing

Post by Cr0n_J0b »

Hey everyone,

I'm running

Gargoyle Version:1.9.0
Model:TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2

I've noticed that a couple of times, my restriction rules have just disappeared. I have rules setup for 12 systems on my network with access times and dates. Everything worked fine until yesterday. I looked at the rules and their names changed in the web dialog from say "PC 1002" to "rule 1 / " a couple of the rules were also missing. I did a soft reset and now all of the rules are gone.

I can rewrite the rules, but this is a little frustrating.

I've also noticed that over the past month I've had to reboot the router 2-3 times because the uPNP stops working and the router will start refusing DHCP clients and such. I didn't troubleshoot at the time and just reset which fixed it.

thanks

Lantis

Re: Firewall rules disappearing

Post by Lantis »

I suggest you upgrade to 1.9.1.
Re setup everything from scratch and then make a backup.
This will save you having to write everything by hand again.

Unfortunately this kind of bug is hard to track down unless you can give me a step by step procedure that will trigger it 100% of the time.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Cr0n_J0b

Post by Cr0n_J0b »

I'll upgrade as you suggest.

I just noticed the issue again. And you and right, there is no way i can describe how to reproduce it, since it's happening in the background of the router. Just seems to be that there is something corrupting the rule set.

BatterBits

Post by BatterBits »

I'm a newish (couple of weeks) user, and this has just happened to me - in two stages.

I had about 20 port forward rules - I'm just setting up the router. I added a new rule, clicked on save changes.

When it returned the screen, I tried to connect to the device I just added, and it didn't work - went to check the firewall - and there were only half a dozen or so rules - not including the one I just added.

Maybe the wrong approach, but decided to reboot the router - when it came back, the rules were empty - not a single one left!

That'll teach me not to take regular backups I suppose....
Device Name:Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.9.2
Model:TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:23.6MB / 123.1MB (19.2%)
Connections:315/16384
CPU Load Averages:0.00 / 0.00 / 0.02 (1/5/15 minutes
Regards,

BatterBits

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Try re-flashing your router and starting again

sometimes the config get stuffed

BatterBits

Post by BatterBits »

Yes, I figured that's probably what I would end up doing - but thought I'd post in case there are any logs or anything which could be useful....
Regards,

BatterBits

BatterBits

Post by BatterBits »

So, I reloaded from the image file.

I set up a bunch of forwarding rules.

They've disappeared again.

I added some more.

They've gone too.

I'm poking about and found that my original rules (after the re-install) are still present in the file
./etc/config/firewall - there are 11 of them.
but my gui is only displaying 5 rules - which I had to re-add.

Can anyone tell me where the "current" rules are stored? I'm thinking that if I can store my files in a backup copy, at least I can just copy the file over to the current set when it goes wrong....
Regards,

BatterBits

registry

Post by registry »

My deviec is 1043v2 also.
Unfortunatelly, it was an issue with 1.6.1 also. I've used dark one theme. The defected browser was firefox. I've not experienced the issue with with chrome.
later on, I've upgraded to 1.6.2 but maybe the firefox was updated too, but the issue was solved.
Now, with 1.9.2, firefox56, dark one theme the issue is returned. Unfortunatelly, It is not always reproducable.
However, I'm sure: if the progressbar appears only for a few seconds, after pressing the save button, It will fail.

Workaround: use chrome
TL-WR1043nd V2; TL-WR740n V4; TL-WR741nd V4