Backfire x86 generic support

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

error404

Backfire x86 generic support

Post by error404 »

I noticed the only listed target in the current version appeared to be alix-madwifi, I wen't ahead and let it build everything just to make sure all was working before I investigated more and I noticed that while it built everything fine for atheros and brcm the alix-madwifi seemed to only create the kernel image.

Is gargoyle on x86 (preferably just for generic, I have an old box I want to throw it on) supported by the build system? I tried a vanilla openwrt backfire and did a custom build to target x86 generic and it seemed to build fine by itself, I was interested in getting gargoyle on it though.

Any suggestions on things I should try or what I should do to see if I can narrow down why I can't get at least alix to build completely? Then from there how can I switch to a simple generic build? Or do I need to stick with kamakazi if I want to target x86-generic?

I am doing the build on an older ubuntu box, but I didn't appear to see any errors anywhere.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Backfire x86 generic support

Post by Eric »

Should be fixed, try it now.

error404

Post by error404 »

Cleaned everything out and git cloned from scratch. I did alix-madwifi and root filesystem images showed up this time, also did a custom to try generic-x86 and it seemed to compile and build images this time just fine.

I have yet to test the actual images, surely my custom wont work because that would be too easy :) -- but building was half the battle. Whatever you did seems to have fixed that part of it at least, thanks.

igorfie

Post by igorfie »

FWIW, I am running my test gargoyle instance on virtualbox vm without any problems. I can share the config I use if you are interested, although there is nothing special there.

error404

Post by error404 »

Yeah, that's the easy part. I am working on the modifications to get the sucker to boot from and use usb for rootfs. Some day I will get it, but I am still screwing around with it. If you could build usb into the kernel itself it would be really easy, but I know that is mostly openwrt's build menu options failing.

I know there is a way to do make kernel_menuconfig where that would be possible to fix in openwrt pretty easily, but there isn't apparently a way to get into there from the gargoyle top level build from my quick tests.

Anyone have suggestions on that?

igorfie

Post by igorfie »

I was able to boot openwrt backfire off usb rootfs on my netgear WNDR3700. Was relatively straightforward, I basically needed to enable usb-storage and it's dependencies via make kernel_menuconfig and build image with special bootargs baked in.

error404

Post by error404 »

Yeah, I have an x86 openwrt, kernel_menuconfig allows me to add the usb stuff and I just install grub on it and I can point at rootfs just fine. The problem is I wanted to use gargoyle, but the simplified build system placed over top doesn't have a kernel_menuconfig make target, just the base target or custom.

I am going to try doing a make kernel_menuconfig in the src folder, but I think the gargoyle build system blows the kernel config away before doing its modifications and such.

Anyone else tried this before and confirm it does or doesn't work? If not I will play with it some on my own.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

If you do a normal build, go into the source directory and reconfigure, and then rebuild it should work just fine.