Help with dnsomatic and openDNS

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

landersohn

Help with dnsomatic and openDNS

Post by landersohn »

I am using OpenDSN to filter a bunch of domains and use dnsomatic to manage the IP. I turned the dnsomatic.com option on on my brandnew router and it's not working:

- there is no place on the GUI to enter my network label for opendns
- Forcing an update create an error in dnsomatic when trying to update opendns
- opendns filtering does not work at all.

I also could not find any even remotely comprehensive how to on how to set this up.

Can anybody help?

Lantis

Re: Help with dnsomatic and openDNS

Post by Lantis »

Need screenshots of your relevant settings please.
There is no need to enter your domain for dnsomatic. Only your username and password.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

landersohn

Post by landersohn »

will get screen shots soon.
AS for domain: looking at the documentation at OpenDNS for ddclient, they need the network label that one gives his network in OpenDNS (there can be more than one per user).

the ddclient script looks like this:
##
## OpenDNS.com account-configuration
##
use=web, web=myip.dnsomatic.com
ssl=yes
server=updates.opendns.com
protocol=dyndns2
login=opendns_username
password=opendns_password
opendns_network_label

Gargolye provides nothing for the "opendns_network_label"

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think you may be confused.

lets clarify. Why are you trying to set up TWO Dynamic DNS providers? Do you need both?

Maybe just do OpenDNS.
In which case, you do not need a network label. It should work without it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

landersohn

Post by landersohn »

I dont doubt my confusion ;)
i have been running opendns for years with a different router, though and it worked.
If i use dnsomatic to update opendns you arecorrect i dont need the network label because dnsomatic knows about it. Updating opendns directly requires the label. The sample config file came from opendns support.

There may be a different problem: i configured gargoyle for the opendns and checked the box forcing clients to use the router dns. Using dig under linux i found i actually used a different dns. Gotta chase that down some more

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I don't have an account with them, but I'm pretty sure if you leave network label blank, it still works, and it is the equivalent of updating all domains.

This is how gargoyle handles the request.

If you find that this is not the case, you can manually edit the ddns config to test if it works.
/etc/ddns_providers.conf

Just add your network label after "hostname="

If this sorts the issue then I guess we can look at patching the problem for you :)

landersohn

Post by landersohn »

Thanks.
I may have found another reasonfor the problem: i used opendns in the router setup and checked the box to force clients to use the router dns. Using dig on my linux box i found that the dns returning the address was not opendns as configured but the first dns in my resolv.conf.

Am i understanding the checkbox wrong or is there a bug?
My gargoyle version was preinstalled, purchased a week ago

oviano

Post by oviano »

Hello

New user here - just setting up and trying out Gargoyle for the first time. It looks good, I'm hopeful the QoS is going to help in my situation.

I have encountered the same limitation regarding the network name for OpenDNS.

I have two networks covering two locations so I need to be able to update these independently as I've previously been doing with Tomato.

Thanks for your efforts in making Gargoyle.

All the best

Oliver

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

oviano wrote:Hello

New user here - just setting up and trying out Gargoyle for the first time. It looks good, I'm hopeful the QoS is going to help in my situation.

I have encountered the same limitation regarding the network name for OpenDNS.

I have two networks covering two locations so I need to be able to update these independently as I've previously been doing with Tomato.

Thanks for your efforts in making Gargoyle.

All the best

Oliver

Please make the following changes to your /etc/ddns_providers.conf and let us know if it solves the problem for you. If it does we can patch it in.

Code: Select all

service opendns.com
	url_template			https://[[USERNAME]]:[[PASSWORD]]@updates.opendns.com/nic/update?hostname=[[DOMAIN]]
	required_variables		domain username password
	required_variable_names		DyDNS.DoNm DyDNS.UsrN,DyDNS.Pssw
	success_regexp			/^(good|nochg)/	

oviano

Post by oviano »

Hi yes that fixes the issue perfectly.

Thankyou very much.