the annoying 'too many redirects'

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

usergar

Re: the annoying 'too many redirects'

Post by usergar »

Unfortunately changing browser is not an option. Does anyone know if this is fixed in 1.6.2?

pyed

Post by pyed »

well, I'm a bit late.

@StopSpazzing Naah, it's OK ;)

Since I first started this thread I downgraded my router to 1.5.X and never faced the same problem again.

there's a tedious work around for Safari on Mac, go to Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> mark the "Show develop menu.."

now when you go to your router page and get the annoying "too many redirects" page, right click and choose "Inspect Element" now update the page while the inspector is shown, it should show you the login page, and work for a while.

I know it's weird work around, I don't know why it work, I found it accidentally while trying to discover the cause of this issue.

I just noticed that 1.6.2 has arrived, I might give it a try and see if this problem is gone.
Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H

usergar

Post by usergar »

Anyone checked 1.6.2 yet? Since this is really the only problem I'm having with 1.6.1 I'm considering holding off for the next version unless this is fixed.

Thanks!

usergar

Post by usergar »

For what it's worth, installed iOS 8 and while it still gives the "too many redirects" for certain pages, I can at least now access the one I was after directly by linking /wol.sh which I couldn't do before (too many redirects error)

pyed

Post by pyed »

yesterday I tested 1.6.2, with the latest OS X 10.10 Yosemite with Safari 8.0, and the problem is still there. :(
Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H

yousaf465

Post by yousaf465 »

StopSpazzing wrote:
pyed wrote:Hi, if you're Mac/iOS user && use Safari && your Gargoyle is 1.6.X: you'll suffer from random error 'too many redirects accrued trying to open 192.168.1.1'

using 'https' won't help, as a Mac user who uses safari, this is annoying, if someone found a way around this error please share it, Thank you
Not sure what is going on.

screenshot attached.
which theme ?

pyed

Post by pyed »

after 24 hours of 1.6.2 usage, I can say that the 'too many redirects' problem occurs far less frequent than before, in the last 24 hours, it happened 3-4 times, even with heavy usage "I was setting up openvpn and routing", I don't know if it's 1.6.2 or Safari 8.0, even on iOS 8.0 it's way better than before, I can say that 1.6.2 is now 'somewhat' usable. :D

I'm currently using my latest build for WBMR, can be found here: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=5&t=4626

Edit: after 2 days of usage, it started to get more annoying :(

but the 'Inspect Element' trick I mentioned works fine for Safari 8.0.
Last edited by pyed on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H

Dr. Crash

Post by Dr. Crash »

That issue is driving me a little bit crazy too. I'll look to see if I can understand what's going on once my work on guest network support is done. I am using Chrome now whenever I need to use Gargoyle (and for debugging too).

The other thing that is driving me crazy is that smoke screen that is put when saving changes has a wrong height in all the browsers I use. The code setting up is actually pretty complicated, versus what one would do on a modern browser, but I don't want to break whatever older/bad (IE) browsers are supported now. But seeing a half smoke screen just because the setting page is longer than my screen is tall... That's driving me crazy!

governa

Post by governa »

Running 1.7.0 on a DIR-505. Getting the "too many redirections" issue under Safari 8.0.3.

Using Gargoyle's default theme. Changing between http and https makes no difference. The "Show Web Inspector" trick is the only way to get it working.

No problems under Chrome 40.x.
• 2x DIR-825 B1/B2 DD-WRT r30631 • 1x DIR-825 C1 OpenWRT 15.05.1
• 4x DIR-615 D2/D4 DD-WRT r30385 • 2x DIR-505E A2 Gargoyle 1.9.1
• Cisco EPC3928S stock • Hitron BVW3653 stock • CellPipe 7130 stock
• 3COM 3CR29220 stock • Sagemcom 5310 'FunBox' stock

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Activating private browsing mode also fixes this.

Alternatively manually navigating from the login page to the main page (or any other) after a too many redirects issue has occurred works also.

I'd like to know exactly what safari considers too many redirects, because gargoyle seems to only do 2-3 from my understanding.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.