Router Hacked?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Paddy1253

Router Hacked?

Post by Paddy1253 »

I have a TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND which has been running Gargoyle for some 18 months now without issue. This morning when I switched on the PC, I got the "new network found, is it Home, Work, Public etc" message which raised a few suspicions. So being suspicious, I attempted to login to the router which failed and I found the IP address had been reset. Guessing it was back to the default, I tried that and instead of getting the usual Gargoyle default page, it purported to be some Huawei firmware so I aborted at that point.
I suspect that somehow the router has been hacked so as that point, I disconnected it completely and went back to using a direct connection into the Virgin Media Super Hub which is fine for now.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what's gone on and/or how to fix it, that would be appreciated.
Thanks

tapper

Re: Router Hacked?

Post by tapper »

No way dude that's mad! Don't no what the hell went on there! Fi were you i wood just flash it back with 1.61 and keep a eye on it.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

n0pin

Post by n0pin »

Are you using Wi-Fi? Maybe your computer connected you to some open Wi-Fi network.

Paddy1253

Post by Paddy1253 »

Thanks to those that replied with advice.
I've no idea what went on, it's a complete mystery but having done a thorough scan of all the PCs on my home network with various bits of appropriate software, nothing nasty was found - relief.
I took tapper's advice and reflashed the router, updating it to v1.61 as an aside and all seems well again.
Thanks again.

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

Was the router originally from Huawei? I do not see any on the list of downloads.

Try disconnecting the Gargoyle router from the Internet, and connect it just to the PC. See if you get the normal connection to Gargoyle.

Which model router is it?