Forgot Password

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

c_thomas

Forgot Password

Post by c_thomas »

OK, I have forgotten the login password to the Gargoyle installation on my WRT54GL. I've tried the reset button but that didn't work and after reading the forums it seems it is not supposed to. So what do I do now?

- C. Thomas

FRiC

Re: Forgot Password

Post by FRiC »

Re-flash it?

c_thomas

Post by c_thomas »

Ummm, how? I can't login to get to the page that allows a firmware upgrade.

I have tried TFTP but either I'm not doing it right or its not working. The router responds to pings on its IP but does not connect to the TFTP server regardless if I set it to 192.168.1.1 or the IP that it is set at.

Any other choices?

- C. Thomas

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

TFTP should work -- I've used this method multiple times on WRT54GLs. However, if bootwait isn't active it can take a bunch of tries to get it right.

One thing you may try is to have two terminals open, and to ping with a really low interval on the first (e.g. ping -i 0.1 [ip], you may need to run this as root if you're on a linux system, since ordinary users aren't supposed to flood the network). Then, in another terminal start the TFTP connection (have the command typed in, ready to hit return) IMMEDIATELY after you get the first ping response.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Here's some documentation from openwrt.

http://martybugs.net/wireless/openwrt/flash.cgi

c_thomas

Post by c_thomas »

Just to followup on this.

I could not get TFTP to work no matter what I tried. And I tried A LOT of stuff.

Finally found a post about disassembling the router, shorting two pins on one of the chips and renabling the default bootloader. I was then able to TFTP the original linksys firmware onto the beast. Which is were I am at now. Gonna start over with Gargoyle and this time I will write down the password!

Feature request -> Do something with the reset button.

- C. Thomas

Jase

Post by Jase »

.......and after all that you probably could've tried openwrt failsafe mode, i used it myself to de-brick my Linksys WRT54GL which had Gargoyle firmware on it at the time.

Whilst the router is booting up the DMZ light will come on, during that time you can press (might have been hold) the reset button on the router and it will make the router fall into failsafe mode. From there you can SSH/Telnet into the router (using 192.168.1.1) and set the boot wait to on and then proceed to tftp the firmware back onto it.

I only came across that method the other day whilst browsing the openwrt forums, if i had known about it earlier, i would've posted it here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Network setup: Linksys WRT54GL (with gargoyle firmware) + Billion 7300G Connecting via PPPoE + PPPoE passthrough enabled for IPv6!

vfr800

Post by vfr800 »

I have flashed my wrt54gl to gargoyle and am stuck at the login.sh page. The admin password will not take at all. I have tried to logon using ssh to re-flash but cannot login as admin or root. Help!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Re ... _Bad_Flash

Try and follow those steps for the WRT54GL recovery via TFTP

Try and flash Linksys firmware back on, just to reset everything.

Then go back and re-flash Gargoyle again

Don't try to reload any old configs - start from scratch.

This should kill out any erroneous settings and allow you
to log back in to the default GUI after a fresh flash.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400