OpenVPN Client mode Error: Could not find config file

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

powerlogy

OpenVPN Client mode Error: Could not find config file

Post by powerlogy »

Hello, i just want set up client mode with openvpn.But whatever i choose between Configure Client Manually or Upload Client Configuration File(s) and set up option for server configuration or chosing zip file or file(s) i get the same error when i press SaveChanges button.

I tried with many browsers still no luck, version 1.5.8.

Later i tried a manuall setup of openvpn but gargoyle's openvpn is complicated and i didnt success to get working connection.

What's the possible mistake or error in client mode as message says ?

Here is a screenshot of manual entry
(its a public vpn dont worry about ip)
http://i.imgur.com/rirjv.jpg

This is the individual config files
http://i.imgur.com/IaVZD.jpg

db90h

Re: OpenVPN Client mode Error: Could not find config file

Post by db90h »

I have also seen this problem. I am going to look into it more deeply shortly. It seems to be a general bug from my perspective. I will check the web interface source and determine what's up soon. Note I"m just a user, not a Gargoyle member.

clown

Post by clown »

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there a solution?

I've tried every possible method to copy/upload the config files via the GUI and I get the same as above.

How could I copy or upload the files via another method?? Without the GUI??

Thanks.

mlm569

Post by mlm569 »

Hi All, first post here. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but this is what worked for me. I was running into a similar kind of situation where I couldn't get OpenVPN to work. It seemed like it was returning a bit too quickly from the 'creating server certs' and after that I couldn't get the client zip files. After much trial and error, I finally found that there seemed to be a bad symlink in /etc/openvpn, probably the result of either a partial server startup or an upgrade issue (I was coming from 1.4.3, and tried to preserve settings).

This is more or less the sequence that seems to have fixed it for me:

- In Gargoyle GUI, disable OpenVPN completely.
- SSH into the router, then issue the following commands:

cd /etc/openvpn
rm current_status (actually, you may want to delete everything in this directory).

- go back to the Gargoyle GUI and set up your server and hit 'save''. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I didn't configure any clients until I made sure the server started up properly. It should take a few minutes (maybe less) to generate the server certificates, then it the server should have started up. Once it showed the server started, I created the first client, tested to make sure it connected, then created the rest of the clients.

Hope it helps.

clown

Post by clown »

Thanks for your help.

But I think the OP and me were asking about Client config i.e. from a VPN service provider. I would like to connect to their server using router/Gargoyle, not create my own VPN server and connect to it.

I think the Gargoyle firmware is great, very lean, not bloated with a trillion needless options like others. I just can't believe the VPN Client config function doesn't work as I think this is a major reason for people to use opensource router firmware.

Thanks for your help.

clown

Post by clown »

bump

djc123

Post by djc123 »

I have seen this error come up if the zip file contains a .ovpn file. Rename the extension to .conf in the zip and try to reload it.

linuxfans

Post by linuxfans »

this error :?: me too.

plopes1960

Post by plopes1960 »

me too

any help?!??!?

StopSpazzing

Post by StopSpazzing »

djc123 wrote:I have seen this error come up if the zip file contains a .ovpn file. Rename the extension to .conf in the zip and try to reload it.
That is the FIRST thing I tried.

This is a bug. Still present on current version 1.6.1. I have yet to be able to get around it, however when I get a chance, I will try manually entering in the information into the file, once connected to router with SSH.

Sorry for bringing a 4 month old post back but problem still exists. This needs to be fixed, Dev's.