TOR Server

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

TOR Server

Post by ispyisail »

Hi all

ver 1.5.6+
RSpro

Is anybody using the TOR server?

I've turned it on but im not sure its working?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: TOR Server

Post by Eric »

I run a Tor relay from my home network using Gargoyle, so I certainly use it, if no one else does ;-)

You can check whether your node appears in the Tor consensus by going here: http://www.torstatus.all.de/ (Note that page will take a while to load, it has a huge amount of information on the current status of the network on it.) You can look up my node, if you want: "GargoyleOne"

In my experience it will take 3-6 hours before you'll see your node in the consensus. Also, the first day it's up you're not going to get as much Tor traffic as later. I think the Tor algorithm biases against nodes that haven't been up for very long, just because stable nodes are preferred.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I was using a bridge

I did some reading and now understand that a "relay" is what needs to be used

my definitions for the wiki?

Tor Relay Server:
Virtual tunnels on the Tor network take a random pathway through several "relays" that cover your tracks so no observer at any single point can tell where the data came from or where it's going.

Tor Bridge Server:
If ISP's block your "tor relay server" you will then need to use a tor bridge server

Tor Bridge Server with obfsproxy:
Same as a tor bridge server but with traffic encryption from you PC to bridge server.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

problem appears to be fixed with version 1.5.7+

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

Is it correct that a Tor "relay" sever is never an entry point to the network and is never an exit node? So that is the safest kind of server to run since nothing exits tor from there?

I must say that I am still not 100 clear on what a "bridge" server. The definitions above are not clear to me.

I am considering running a Tor node from a high bandwidth connection. But would like to understand a little more first.

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

The wiki page for Tor seems to just be written in terms of being a client: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tor

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Right now Gargoyle cannot be configured (via the GUI) to run a Tor exit node, just a non-exit relay. A relay can refer to a node that is an exit node, but a relay is not necessarily an exit node, and never is in the case of Gargoyle. However, all relays can be used as entry points to the Tor network.

Bridges are always entry points, and only entry points. The purpose of a bridge is to have a server that is not publicly known as being part of the Tor network, which you can use to connect to the Tor network. The IP addresses of all Relays are public information. This is not true of bridges -- these are only known to the bridge operator and anyone they choose to share that information with.