Latest Bleeding Edge - Loss of WAN

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

propelaheadau

Latest Bleeding Edge - Loss of WAN

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi,

Just thought I would post to advise, flashed the latest bleeding edge (New Quota System Build) next day lost access to the outside world after about 12 hours up time.

Was able to obtain IP from provider was not able to ping the out side world with either IP or Name....

Reflashed to last bleeding edge and all is fine now.....

Not sure if this is a isolated issue but I thought I would still post...

Kind regards

Peter

Eric if i can help with any questions please let me know....

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Latest Bleeding Edge - Loss of WAN

Post by Eric »

I'm not sure what might cause this. If it happens again could you post 1) what restriction rules / quotas you have defined, 2) an output of ifconfig after logging into the device via ssh. Also, you're using broadcom hardware right? Thanks!

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi Eric,

No problem and will do...

Yes have istalled on WRT54GL, just to confirm the latest bleeding edge has the re worked quota system also at the risk of being a "pain in the butt" is there a time line for 1.0??

Kind regards

Peter

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yeah, as stated in this news post 1.0 will be released in just under a week, on July 14th.

(Resumes running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to make sure everything is release-quality within a week)

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi Eric,

I have the same issue occur on upgrading to 1.0.....I resolved the issue by deleting all the quota's and then recreating, seam quite stable apart from http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... ?f=6&t=208

Not sure if this issue has something to do with the back up and restore (Recreated quotas are working)....funny thing is that it occurs at the 12 hour mark of up time unsure if this has any relevance.

Eric I am sorry I did not and was not able to get the an output of ifconfig but please see the image for an example of the type of quotas I have defined (as requested)
(All my quotas are all pretty much the same, just different usage ammounts).

I am going to upload 1.0.1 tonight and restore with backup so I will get the "ifconfig" when or if it fails again. (Also in regards to this would you recommend starting from scratch in regards config of the router, could there be an issue with my backup\restore)

Again thanks....

Kind regards

Peter
Attachments
Quota Example
Quota Example
Quota Example.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 5518 times

propelaheadau

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi Eric,

Just a quick up date re my last post...had two IP's blocked from the internet (recreated quotas) with only 1/3 to 1/2 of thier usage used.

Deleted both the IP \ quota's and the issue was resolved....

Not sure how to move forward with this, if there is any diags I can do please let me know.....unsure if 1.0.1 will fix it!!!

Kind regards

Peter

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

1.0.1 may fix your issue. There is a bug in the quota system in 1.0.0 that applies to combined quotas set for specific IPs. The bug causes the (combined) quotas to sometimes increment when traffic is from other hosts than the one specified. I don't know if this will solve the issue or not since you say the problem shows up when the quotas are only partially used. (The bug would cause more of them to be used than is appropriate, but not to cut off access when partially used). On the other hand, you could be seeing a heavy user suddenly affect everyone.

In either case 1.0.1 fixes the bug, so I recommend you try it.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I've been thinking about it, and I just realized how the problem fixed by 1.0.1 could also cause quotas that are only partially used to appear to hit their limit early, if at least one of the quotas specified in the router has hit the limit. When the network died for those IPs had at least one of the quotas specified (for other IPs) hit the limit?

In any case... please try upgrading. This very likely will fix the problem.