Update could use warning

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr.R. Clavan

Update could use warning

Post by Dr.R. Clavan »

Just upgraded to 1.3.15 and discovered all bandwith usage and distribution data has gone (been reset). This data was the very reason I am using Gargoyle. A warning I would lose all that data by upgrading would have saved me from this unpleasant surprise.

Dr.R. Clavan

1an

Re: Update could use warning

Post by 1an »

There IS one
screenshot.22-06-2011 12.08.24.jpg
screenshot.22-06-2011 12.08.24.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08

Dr.R. Clavan

Post by Dr.R. Clavan »

That's for the settings! Of course I made a backup of those and after the flashing restored them.

What I'm talking about is the data; the logs of used bandwidth etc. Those are gone after an update.

1an

Post by 1an »

Dr.R. Clavan wrote:That's for the settings! Of course I made a backup of those and after the flashing restored them.

What I'm talking about is the data; the logs of used bandwidth etc. Those are gone after an update.
I thought these files were saved along with config stuff when doing a backup from the System tab of the web interface ....

I just checked by doing a backup from my router (WZR-HP-G300NH), then looking inside the backup.tar.gz file with WinRAR. Both the bandwith data (temporary files stored in /tmp/data/bwmon; and long term files stored in /usr/data/bwmon) and also the web usage data (stored in /usr/data) are there!

Have a look inside your backed up config file (backup.tar.gz) to see if the files are there in your backup. You could also use WinSCP or equivalent to check the same locations on the router itself (login to 'root', using your usual password for web interface access). If the files are missing, you could manually restore just these files with WinSCP to transfer them.

Hope this helps

Ian
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08