2 Things

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

ifican

2 Things

Post by ifican »

Firewall rules are accepted and applied, however if you move off the page and come back they no longer show up via the gui. Though they are still present and work.

Firmware upload does not work. I have attempted to load other firmware to run side by side comparisons and the router keeps booting back to gargoyle.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: 2 Things

Post by Eric »

Can you specify the exact port forwarding configuration that causes this problem? I have tried, but cannot replicate the problem you describe.

I am currently investigating the upgrade issue. I think the problem occurs only when third-party firmwares other than OpenWrt are used as I have tested with upgrading to different versions of Gargoyle and reverting to a default OpenWrt install and these seem to work. Could you please specify exactly which firmware you were trying to install and the hardware you were trying to install it on? I will likely not be able to fix this in time for Beta 2 next week, but I will make it a priority. Thank you for pointing the problem out.

ifican

Post by ifican »

Ok forget the port forwarding problem, it was not showing up but after a reboot all is well. Could have also easily been that i had another connection open to the management page. Never the less all is well now.

Regarding firmware i have tried tomato and dd-wrt as thats what i am testing it against. It is a wrtsl54gs and no worries about taking some time to fix. Your firmware has been very stable and i have no issues at all, i am simply trying to compare it against what else is predominately used out there. Whenever you get a chance to look at it is fine by me.

toastman

Things

Post by toastman »

Hi Eric

Congratulations and thanks on your new project. I'm delaying testing it until I am sure I can reflash via the web gui to Tomato (on a 54GL) - perhaps you can advise whether it's a problem, or has been fixed ?

Wishing you every success and I look forward to trying out Gargoyle.
Last edited by toastman on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toastman

Post by toastman »

Well, I bit the bullet and flashed it anyway. Previously running tomato.

Firmware was the .24 trx version, router is a WRT54GL

First and most important comment, I was unable to connect via ppoe to my ISP. In fact, I don't see any communication between router and modem except a brief flash of ethernet connection LED on powering up the router.

Secondly, yes, I can't flash back to another firmware. I can reflash Gargoyle.

Third, the dynamic DHCP page has a small problem, on my browser (Safari) the "Status" window appears offset to the right, on top of the "Dynamic DNS Services" box.

It looks very promising, when I have a connection and all is working I hope to give you some more feedback.

Thanks!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you, I just spent the last weekend upgrading my antiquated computer hardware to a brand new system (3.13GHz Core 2 duo, 8GB of RAM, YAY!) so I haven't had my system up to access the forum.

Anyway...

As of Beta2 I fixed a major bug in the upgrade script, but I wasn't sure if it would allow it to upgrade other firmwares and hadn't gotten around to testing it yet with anything other than the original Gargoyle/OpenWrt firmware. However, I just tested flashing Tomato 1.21 using Gargoyle on my WRTSL54GS, and it worked fine -- but you have to use the .trx tomato file, not the router specific one.

Second, regarding PPPOE -- I would be very interested in working with you to get the PPPOE settings working, if you'd be willing to help and you feel comfortable accessing the router with ssh & modifying the config files to test various settings. I only have a cable connection, and so does everyone I know, so I have had no way to test the PPPOE settings. I could only verify that the necessary settings comply with the OpenWrt specifications. I would be very grateful if you could help me with this.

Third, I've managed to replicate the bug you report with dynamic dns & safari. I'm working on fixing it right now.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The problem with dynamic dns you were seeing in Safari should now be fixed in the SVN (r35).

Again, please let me know if you're willing to help me debug the PPPOE configuration section. Thanks!

ifican

Post by ifican »

Eric,

With beta-1 unable to upgrade to beta-2.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yep, I caught that bug just as I was about to release beta2. That's the reason it was a day late. I didn't catch it before because it's specific to broadcom routers, and like an idiot I must have forgotten to test the upgrade utility of beta1 on something other than my Fonera. The bug is fixed in beta2.

If you need further help upgrading to beta2 (or reverting to another firmware), let me know and I can post more detailed instructions here.

ifican

Post by ifican »

If you have instructions that will make it easier on me, i can figure it out if i had to, but yes i told you in the beginning i like what you are doing and am going to continue testing but to do so i need to make changes and check that is for sure. Whats the simplest way to upgrade to beta-2?