can't specify IP's in firewall rsitriction rule?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

pozzello

can't specify IP's in firewall rsitriction rule?

Post by pozzello »

I'm trying to set up a rule to prevent certain machines on my network from accessing the internet after certain time of day.
I've found that the rule entry dialog does not allow me to enter ANY IP addresses, much less a range. Previously, I worked around this by entering separate MAC addresses, but this is tedious and I'd rather use an IP address range like 192.168.0.201-192.168.0.210. My LAN network range is 192.168.0.0/255 (router at 0.1) but no matter what IP or range I enter, it's always RED and cannot be added.

What am I doing wrong and why does it let me?

Gargoyle Version:1.13.X on Linksys EA8500. Is there a newer version for this router which might fix this?

Thanx, Paul

ispyisail

Re: can't specify IP's in firewall rsitriction rule?

Post by ispyisail »

works for me

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

What exact version of 1.13 are you using? The newest one has a box for you to select the IP family.

If you select "both", then you MUST enter a MAC address. Entering either an IPv4 or IPv6 address in this mode will be invalid and disallowed.
Selecting the correct IP family should resolve your issue.

Otherwise, can you provide some more details and maybe some screenshots?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pozzello

Post by pozzello »

Yes, thanx. I figured out right after posting that having 'Both' (ipv4 and Ipv6) selected (by default) was preventing it from validating my IP's and ranges. Makes sense that to block both one can only match on MAC. That said, IMO, defaulting to ipv4 here (instead of both) might be less 'surprising' for most folks...

pozzello

Post by pozzello »

also, i thought i had attached some screen shots, but i guess either they didn't post or I messed it up somehow (newbie here).
Thanx, all! Keep up the good work!

pozzello

Post by pozzello »

oh, and my version literally has an X in it. I wasn't just obfuscating that. i think it may have been an eXperimental build for this router (linksys ea8500) at the time i found it...