Restricting non-school internet access

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

nocturne

Restricting non-school internet access

Post by nocturne »

Like many kids around the country (world) mine are schooling remotely. My son is having a very hard time not playing on his computer/watching youtube instead of doing his school.

I am trying to block everything to his computer except the domains needed for his school work with no luck. I can either block everything or nothing. I am running Gargoyle 1.9.1.

I tried blocking everything and then adding a whitelist exception for his school domains.

With these two rules in effect nothing loaded on his laptop.

I tried removing the restriction, but that allowed all traffic.

I changed the restriction to this:
This allowed all traffic as well.

I was hoping this was going to be less complicated. I have read a number of posts (most are old and the images with instructions are gone). Any help would be appreciated.

ispyisail

Re: Restricting non-school internet access

Post by ispyisail »

A few years ago https (vs http) started becoming the norm.

Most internet traffic is now encrypted (or soon will be) meaning that many blocking systems on gargoyle no longer work.

Blunt systems still work well.

e.g. Blocking internet hours or limit data per day

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

If you want granular control you will need to install software/app on the client device.

I the past i used "antivirus bit defender" to do this job.

I'm having the same problem with my kids. So far the blunt controls are working .

nocturne

Post by nocturne »

ispyisail wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:35 am
If you want granular control you will need to install software/app on the client device.

I the past i used "antivirus bit defender" to do this job.

I'm having the same problem with my kids. So far the blunt controls are working .
I was hoping to be able to do it at the router level because my son has figured out how to turn his standard windows account into an admin account. I wouldn't have noticed but he turned my admin account into a standard account. Looks like it may be time to switch him to *nix.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Same problems the world over.

Things Lantis has yet to look forward to :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

LOL! My partner would love to read that.

I'll look into the above rules. I think they aren't written properly/efficiently, but I need to test them to make sure I'm not talking rubbish.
Also of note is that in 1.9.1 HTTPS blocking is broken. It started working (a bit...) In 1.10 after I fixed it, but there are external factors working towards it breaking again (DNS over HTTPS, Encrypted SNI etc). So at the very least, 1.10 upgrade would be needed.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

nocturne

Post by nocturne »

Lantis wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:09 am
Also of note is that in 1.9.1 HTTPS blocking is broken. It started working (a bit...) In 1.10 after I fixed it, but there are external factors working towards it breaking again (DNS over HTTPS, Encrypted SNI etc). So at the very least, 1.10 upgrade would be needed.
I will look into the update. In the meantime it looks like I got it working. It was my own fault. I have a "mac filtering" rule that you have to have your mac address added to the list otherwise the router gives you no internet access. My son's laptop was added to the rule, so he was being allowed full access.

I removed my laptop from the rule and applied my mac address to his rules and the blocking worked. Sorry if I caused you any extra work due to my own ineptitude!