Question about Wireless Client + AP mode in (2.4&5 GH)

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelordabdo

Question about Wireless Client + AP mode in (2.4&5 GH)

Post by thelordabdo »

I bought An Archer C7 V5 , flashed it with gargoyle 1.11.0 , I wanted to use it as Wireless AP + Wireless bridge for my main router WR1043 running gargoyle 1.11.0 , while using the DHCP/NAT only for the WR1043 router so that the WR1043 router can see the ip address of devices connected at the Archer C7 5Gh band , so bandwidth monitor can work as it should .

I wanted to connect them using the 2.4 Gh wireless then use the 5 Gh as AP , So bridge mode is not applicable here .

The main router ip (WR1043) is 192.168.0.1 , and I gave the (ArcherC7) a static ip 192.168.0.253 at the DHCP list of the (WR1043) .

I succeed using the {Connect via DHCP(wirless)} + {Wirless mode Client +AP } at ArcherC7, but the problem is that I must enable it's DHCP also and configure it's Router ip to a different subnet like 192.168.3.1 in order for the internet to work , then my main router the (WR1043) see all devices connected to the ArcherC7 as connections from 192.168.0.253 .

I have tried many things individually or combined , such as to disable the DHCP of ArcherC7 , changing the ArcherC7 router ip to 192.168.0.253 , assigning manual ips and gateways at the devices configuration it selves , copied my static DHCP list from my main router to the ArcherC7 , changed connect via to Static IP (wireless) , but the main router never saw the devices attached to the ArcherC7 .

I began to wonder if Gargoyle can do this at all ?

this is my last configuration , internet works but both DHCP servers are enabled .

Last edited by thelordabdo on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archer C7 V5 / Gargoyle 1.12.0
TL-WR1043ND V2 / Gargoyle 1.10.0
TL-WR841ND V9 / GArgoyle 1.10.0

RomanHK

Re: Question about Wireless Client + AP mode in (2.4&5 GH)

Post by RomanHK »

If you have Archer C7 V5 in BRIDGE mode, no Archer statistics work - Gargoyle doesn't allow it, WAN interface is needed and bridge WAN doesn't exist - WAN is disable or linked to bridge.

So if you want the Archer to function as a monitor, it must be in GATEWAY mode, otherwise it can't be.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

thelordabdo

Post by thelordabdo »

RomanHK wrote:If you have Archer C7 V5 in BRIDGE mode, no Archer statistics work - Gargoyle doesn't allow it, WAN interface is needed and bridge WAN doesn't exist - WAN is disable or linked to bridge.

So if you want the Archer to function as a monitor, it must be in GATEWAY mode, otherwise it can't be.
I just want the ArcherC7 to be in bridge mode (no QOS/Monitor ..etc) just benefiting from the 5GH for connecting devices at high speed and the 2.4 band for connecting to the other gargoyle AP so I can get 100Mbs+ speed for internet , the WR1043 gargoyle will do every thing , so WR1043 needs to see all ips (I think ArcherC7 will be called relayed if i understand correct)

So is there a way ?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

and the 2.4 band for connecting to the other gargoyle AP so I can get 100Mbs+ speed for internet
When it comes to speed, don't expect miracles - Over 2.4 GHz it's not going fast, depending on a lot of factors (Ambient interference, Channels 20/40/(80), distance, CPU load).
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

thelordabdo

Post by thelordabdo »

RomanHK wrote: When it comes to speed, don't expect miracles - Over 2.4 GHz it's not going fast, depending on a lot of factors (Ambient interference, Channels 20/40/(80), distance, CPU load).
the 2.4GH speed is 450 Mbs for both routers , so I could get an actual Wifi speed up to 130 Mbs between the two router when tested them today as the speed is not splitted by half when using the 5Mbs for devices , knowing that my ISP max internet speed is 100 Mbs that is enough for me now .
Still my problem is how to pass the DHCP from my WR1043 to the ArcherC7 while using both the 2.4 for Bridging and the 5 for the AP :oops: :oops:

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Your config isn't supported in the GUI.
You want to use wireless bridge mode, and then manually set up the 5ghz wireless at the command line.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

thelordabdo

Post by thelordabdo »

Lantis wrote:Your config isn't supported in the GUI.
You want to use wireless bridge mode, and then manually set up the 5ghz wireless at the command line.
thanks for pointing me to the right direction , I will start reading and trying , I think I may success as I am playing at the root/etc/config/wireless for days now and getting familiar with some commands , If I succeed I will write the method , if I stuck at some point I wish I could get an advice from you :roll:

thelordabdo

Post by thelordabdo »

Lantis wrote:Your config isn't supported in the GUI.
Just done it , it was so damn easy that I still don't believe that I have done it with that ease , just saved the 5Gh configuration part before switching to bridge mode and just pasted it at the end of the wireless configuration , for me it was :

Code: Select all

config wifi-iface 'ap_a'
	option device 'radio0'
	option mode 'ap'
	option network 'lan'
	option disassoc_low_ack '0'
	option ssid 'YourSSIDName'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'YourWifiPassword'
Just another very simple question , I want to disable the 2.4 Ghz SSID completely for my ArcherC7 bridge to prevent any device from connecting to it by mistake via the 2.4 Ghz , so is adding the option hidden '1' to the configuration is the right way to do it ?

Code: Select all

config wifi-iface 'cfg2'
	option device 'radio1'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option wds '1'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'YourWifiPassword'
	option ssid 'YourSSIDName'
	option hidden '1'
or this will interfere some way with the other router SSID ?!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Do you want the SSID hidden, or to not broadcast that network?
I think you might get mixed results with hiding it, but yes that is the correct method as far as I remember.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.