CIFS Share - Some upper-level folders are locked

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

darkaegis

CIFS Share - Some upper-level folders are locked

Post by darkaegis »

I've been using a CIFS share on an external ext4 USB drive for quite a while now with no issues, but somewhere along the line permissions got screwed up and I'm not sure how to address it.

It seems I've lost the ability to modify the few top levels of folders in any way, for some reason. I've tried both to set anonymous access to full Read/Write and I've tried making a separate user account. They both were able to access the shares separately, but for some reason when I try to either delete or create a new folder, I'm given an "access denied" error.

I can drill down into some lower levels and create, copy, and delete files and folders, but the top few levels are locked.

Is there something I can do via SSH or via the GUI that could fix this?

What I've tried so far - Rolling back to a stable version of Gargoyle, full 30-30-30 resets all around, user accounts/anonymous full access, unplugging it and plugging it back in again.

ispyisail

Re: CIFS Share - Some upper-level folders are locked

Post by ispyisail »

What I've tried so far - Rolling back to a stable version of Gargoyle, full 30-30-30 resets all around,
Google openwrt failsafe or

just re-flash your router without using any backup or preserve settings

darkaegis

Re: CIFS Share - Some upper-level folders are locked

Post by darkaegis »

Figured it out myself, but thanks for the response! I'd already flashed without using a backup - I don't usually use any sort of backup when using newer builds because I want to make sure I've got a clean slate to work with and setting everything up is pretty trivial.

In case anyone is wondering, I just mounted the hard drive in Ubuntu, fixed the permissions, and also deleted an errant, empty folder that was just named " and had a few empty folders in it mirroring the folders on the hard drive.

I know deleting folders without knowing what they are isn't great practice, but I figured worst case, I'd still have all of my data on the ext4 drive and I could copy it off, if need be.

Everything is working now. Thanks!