Can't set the time on the router

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

tommarch

Can't set the time on the router

Post by tommarch »

I got a new Gargoyle router to keep track of my devices bandwidth usage only. And it's not setup as a bridge. I connected it to a Netgear router. The time won't correct it's self when I set it in the Gargoyle router.

I read the Gargoyle router has to be on the internet to get the right time. Can I set it manually? Or can I get some help to correct this? Thanks

Lantis

Re: Can't set the time on the router

Post by Lantis »

It must be on the internet. There is no facility to set it manually. And even if you did, the clock would drift substantially.

Can you provide more details about how everything is connected (LAN to WAN? LAN to LAN?) and what settings are in use on Connection -> Basic screen
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

yodabug

Re: Can't set the time on the router

Post by yodabug »

Same issues-sorta

time sync through GUI not working / was set properly (UTC -5 Eastern Time) using google time sync server and ca.ntp.org pools 0/1 via FQDN at first and then IP - nothing would make the time change to be proper - I don't have to tell anyone who knows what kind of f**ked up issues this could cause.

I have 3 routers, all working in sync with each other..one on each floor of my house. The time sync issue was noticeable almost immediately (it started about 4 months ago) - any device connected to the Gargoyle router (I only have gargoyle on one of the 3 routers) was showing huge latency, unbearable latency (over 1.5 minutes for google home page to load) so I just unplugged the router until I had time to deal with it. Which is today.

I ssh'd in and did a:

ntpd -q -p time.google.com (use whatever time server you want, makes no difference really)

and then refreshed the time sync GUI page and all is now well.

I will checked again in a month or so to see if it is doing it's re-sync as it should (according to the OpenWRT Manual for time sync) - if it isn't the time will be off by approx, 15 minutes to one hour, at last that's whats happened when I've experienced the same issue on my main router (Smoothwall).

so, just ssh into the router and try what I did - see if that resolves you issue?