Two virtually identical routers which consistently use memory differently

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

rseiler

Two virtually identical routers which consistently use memory differently

Post by rseiler »

Are there any tools available besides ls (which isn't showing any smoking gun that I can see) for figuring out why two routers of the same model, with the same version of Gargoyle, rebooted at the same time, with a similar number of hosts, and configured all but identically (the slight differences I know about shouldn't be doing this) could show a consistent difference in the amount of RAM used?

One is always (after some use, not immediately after booting) floating around 55MB free, while the other is 80-85MB free. They're 128MB routers.

Surely there's some way or command to get to the bottom of it. It's more a point of curiosity, since there isn't a problem.

One notable difference in the one using more RAM is that it was using the watchdog, but I tried disabling it and rebooting, only to find it wasn't the cause. Also, it had inadvertently been accumulating a great deal of information pertaining to web sites visited and search queries, but clearing those, disabling that function, and again rebooting soon showed that it wasn't at fault either.

ispyisail

Re: Two virtually identical routers which consistently use memory differently

Post by ispyisail »

What happens when you swap the routers around?

rseiler

Re: Two virtually identical routers which consistently use memory differently

Post by rseiler »

Unfortunately, I can't really do that easily based on where they're deployed (i.e. not at my house).

I wonder, is there something better than "ls" that can be installed to really break down what is being used?