failsafe boot

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Indigo

failsafe boot

Post by Indigo »

i had the honor to failsafe boot my archer c7v2 today because i firewalled myself out of device.
first of all since the last versions of gargoyle you have to use ssh instead of telnet (with standard user/password) to gain access (is this mentioned in any changelog?).

next thing is that i was not able to gain write access to root partition - after executing mount_root command root partition is still readonly.

had to factory reset the device to gain access again...

anybody else facing this issues?

Lantis

Re: failsafe boot

Post by Lantis »

I did mention the SSH thing when we were planning release. Must have slipped my mind to write it in the release.
But I did update my CLI instruction thread.

I’ll update this now.

As for your other issue I’ve never experienced that.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

jaylweb

Post by jaylweb »

I’m having the same issue on my c7v2 with partition being readonly still after running mount_root in failsafe. Permission denied. If I use WinSCP, I find the overlay folder empty.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If it’s read only, it is full and needs to be firstboot reset
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

jaylweb

Post by jaylweb »

I did a firstboot reset. Restored my backup from this past July then it reboots like it’s new with none of my settings. I did this several times. I’m not sure what it’s not liking from my backup. So I changed the Ip and copied the firewall, ethers, hosts, and dhcp files from my backup into the router using WinSCP. I did rebooted the router and it seems to be sticking, so I made another backup.

Do you think I would no longer have the read only issue now if I went back into failsafe?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

anybody else facing this issues?
Yes, all the time when people use backup files created on a different version. I suspect there are also other reasons as well. Fresh builds just about always work

Restored my backup
NO NO NO
So I changed the Ip and copied the firewall, ethers, hosts, and dhcp files from my backup into the router using WinSCP. I did rebooted the router and it seems to be sticking, so I made another backup
your on you own

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Hard to know without seeing how much free space you have. It’s possible that your bandwidth history data has eventually filled it, and this is restored in a backup.
But it is hard to say.

chrispeddler

Post by chrispeddler »

Usually...a hard reset works when you have tried different solutions. Just a thought.