Visited WebSite -Web Usage

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Opale7000

Visited WebSite -Web Usage

Post by Opale7000 »

Hello All and :D New year.

I have turn on web usage to monitor visited websites. The thing I do not understand is that there quite a large list of websites that I have no idea why they show up as visited?

ispyisail

Re: Visited WebSite -Web Usage

Post by ispyisail »

yeah

My understanding is web sites are pulling information from all over the place

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I think a bunch of them are tracking servers and other behind-the-scenes sites that are hit when accessing whatever the main site you're visiting is. They serve to drown out what someone might want to see when using this feature. I'm not sure that there's a way the router could filter those out for the purposes of presenting what you really want to see on this page, but it would be nice.

Another problem is that the Web usage feature gets enabled by itself from time to time for reasons that I've never been able to figure out.

I saw this again tonight when I noticed that two virtually identically-configured routers in two very similar environments were using significantly different amounts of memory, and they both had been rebooted at the same time that morning. One was using around 40MB of 123MB, and the other about 75MB.

I noticed the one that was using more memory had Web usage enabled with a LONG history of both that and searches--and it was set at the default of all IPs. Is it remotely plausible that that would consume a large amount of memory? Other than this router also having watchdog enabled, I'm at a loss for what other differences there are.

To work around the problem, I configured Web usage for one IP only (and one that's not used on the LAN). Also, I set the number of sites/searches to 1 each, before disabling it again. So the next time it enables itself, it's not going to be doing much.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It reenables when you sysupgrade.
It’s on my list of things to change. It’s a trivial fix but a bit of a pain to fix.

Yes a large list can use a lot of memory.
Every char being 1 byte, associated to an IP (again 1 byte per char) and a date time stamp (think is 4 byte integer but could be more).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.