Open VPN Warning about MD5 signing

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

IanBlakeley

Open VPN Warning about MD5 signing

Post by IanBlakeley »

The client for Android has just been updated and is issuing the following warning connecting to the VPN running on my router.

Code: Select all

EVENT:WARN Info='TLS:received certificate signed with MD5. Please inform your admin to upgrade to a stronger algorithm. Support for MD5 will be dropped at the end of Apr 2018'
I just set the server up for 2 clients from the GUI this is probably going to effect everybody as clients update. Currently it is just a warning on the screen and in the client log. But will become service affecting in April.

Can't find a server log, not sure where it should be but even then I expect it would not show a warning.

--
Ian

ispyisail

Re: Open VPN Warning about MD5 signing

Post by ispyisail »

Can you post screen shot of you OpenVPN server config?

What encryption have you selected? (not sure if its related)

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

I think it is just the signing of the TA.key that is being warned about not the actual encryption in use.

There's info here http://ics-openvpn.blinkt.de/FAQ.html on the changes

FWIW I have another VPN on my synology NAS, just checked that too and I get the same warning. Looks like my Android client updated in the last couple of days.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

What version of the app were you running?
This appears to be a false error message and should have been fixed in android app 1.27.

Gargoyle signs certificates using SHA256
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

Lantis wrote:What version of the app were you running?
This appears to be a false error message and should have been fixed in android app 1.27.

Gargoyle signs certificates using SHA256
Upgraded to the latest Android client 1.1.27(build 96) warning message no longer seen. Thanks

--
Ian

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Perfect. Glad that is sorted. What a strange error.
And by some coincidence, it was reported to Openvpn the same day you reported it here
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.