1.10 confuses Windows automatic proxy vs. 1.9.2

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

BobbPollock

1.10 confuses Windows automatic proxy vs. 1.9.2

Post by BobbPollock »

I flashed my Netgear WNDR3800 with Gargoyle a couple of years ago, set up OpenVPN, etc. and things have been great through 1.9.2, until 1.10

I wanted the most secure updates, so I flashed 1.10, twice, the second time trying to fix my problem.

Since flashing 1.10, most web pages won't load; the browser complains that Windows can't automatically figure out the proxy. (I don't use a proxy.) Curiously, some Google sites (Gmail, news. google. com) load whereas most other sites don't.

I have configured all my routers & ethernet & wifi devices to use OpenDNS nameservers. [As of this writing, my DNS config is sticky in the routers, but the ethernet device on this desktop keeps defaulting to 127.0.0.1 for DNS. EDIT: This behaviour of the device ethernet adapter has been determined to be caused by the DNSCrypt app.]

Other info about my setup:
-- I use multiple routers, as in the GRC. com Security Now! "3 dumb routers"configuration. My Gargoyle router WNDR3800 faces the internet cable modem, and it in turn serves ethernet cables only (WiFi is off ) to two other routers, both of which both have WiFi on; one secondary router is for IoT devices, the other for my private network.
-- I am using a backup router, wire-only TP-Link R600VPN, to face the internet in lieu of the now-doofus 3800. It works very well but can not be flashed with safer firmware nor does it support OpenVPN.

In summary, I was quite functional and happy with 1.9.2 and with my backup router, but 1.10 has not been successful for me yet, and I miss having my OpenVPN server since I cant use Gargoyle 1.10.

Thanks to all who may help figure out what the heck is wrong with 1.10 in my setup.
Last edited by BobbPollock on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ispyisail

Re: 1.10 confuses Windows automatic proxy vs. 1.9.2

Post by ispyisail »

reflash / failsafe reset
Tip: Don't rush configuring your router. My hypothesis is clicking on Gargoyle UI screens or buttons before a previous process has finished can corrupt the gargoyle config requireing a re-flash or reset.