USB Storage/Ext4 Issues on Archer C7 with Gargoyle 1.9.2

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

darkaegis

USB Storage/Ext4 Issues on Archer C7 with Gargoyle 1.9.2

Post by darkaegis »

As the title states, I'm having a few issues getting USB Storage to be properly recognized on an Archer C7 V2 with Gargoyle 1.9.2. My hard drive is a portable WD Elements, 1TB.

When I format the hard drive via a Live USB (Either by the tool included with Ubuntu, or Gparted), it shows up properly in Ubuntu, but refuses to mount in Gargoyle. In the USB Storage menu, one "partition" is listed under "mounted" and able to be shared, but it's listed as "N/A" size and seems to be under 100mb large. I put partition in quotes because Ubuntu is reporting no separate partitions in Gparted. The actual bulk of the ext HD is stuck in the "format" section and will not mount no matter what I attempt.

Here's the weird part - when I try formatting the drive within Gargoyle and give 100% to storage, 0% to swap, it stops showing up completely. When I format the drive within Gargoyle and give 75% to storage, 25% to swap - the 25% swap shows up as mounted (Like it's switched with storage), the 75% disappears. When I format it 100% swap, 0% storage, it's back to not showing up again. I'm not sure of the magic number, but it's certainly acting oddly.

Finally, mounting it as NTFS works fine. That said, from my understanding, NTFS is (or at least was) drastically slower than ext4 with Gargoyle/OpenWRT. Does that still hold true? I'm only getting about 8MB/s down, 3.5MB/s up with NTFS, at the moment. Would I get a drastic improvement if I were able to get ext4 to work?

Edit: Just realized this is totally posted in the wrong forum and belongs in other, sorry about that. If any mods can/would move it, I'd appreciate it!

Update: I was able to get it to work, finally. I had to use Putty to mkfs.ext4 the hard drive in question. Using that same command in Ubuntu/Gparted live disk did not work, but for some reason that did it. It's still kind of buggily showing up in format as well as Mounted, but it's working now, at least.

One issue, though, is that I'm missing something like 30-50 gigs when compared to NTFS. It's a 1TB hard drive and I'm only getting a bit over 900 gigs, oddly.

That said, it's way, way faster than NTFS. I was getting 3MB/s transfer to the HD with NTFS, getting 15MB/s with ext4, so I'm going to stick with it.

ispyisail

Re: USB Storage/Ext4 Issues on Archer C7 with Gargoyle 1.9.2

Post by ispyisail »

still working OK