am I misunderstanding how adblock works?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

oliver

am I misunderstanding how adblock works?

Post by oliver »

Running 1.9.1 and adblock 20160215-1.1.1

Without adblock, I can see videos on a couple of specific sites with no problems.

When I install and enable adblock, the same sites show some kind of ad over the videos that says 'you are using an adblocker, please disable'

At this point all is working as expected

However, I wanted to allow ads for one device so I modified the 'Enable ad exemption for clients' range to include my IP. I still saw the adblock message though

I was assuming the exemption range was to allow ads to show for specific devices. Is this not the case? If not can I make it so one IP ignores the ad blocks?

Thanks

arejaytee

Re: am I misunderstanding how adblock works?

Post by arejaytee »

Just checking you added an internal IP into the list? Screenshot goes a long way to help debug.

Also double check you don't have an extension loaded that is also doing the adblocking.

oliver

Post by oliver »

arejaytee wrote:Just checking you added an internal IP into the list? Screenshot goes a long way to help debug.

Also double check you don't have an extension loaded that is also doing the adblocking.
Here's the screenshot (except it was enabled and had a recent 'last run' date... and the block/white/black list were default)

I'm pretty sure it's not the phone app I'm using (a video casting app with browser) because it works when I disable adblock on gargoyle.

Another part I don't get (and it might not be relevant) is that disabling adblock totally doesn't make the site work immediately. I have to wait a while, presumably for a timer (cookie?) to expire.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you exempt an IP, you must then force that client to use a different DNS server (e.g. Google DNS).
This is because the ad blocking is occurring in the built in router DNS. By making an exemption you are simply allowing the client to bypass this server. Otherwise it would be forced into it.

As for taking an amount of time for ads to return, clients tend to cache data.
Force them to re-fetch and it will be ok.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

oliver

Post by oliver »

Lantis wrote:If you exempt an IP, you must then force that client to use a different DNS server (e.g. Google DNS).
This is because the ad blocking is occurring in the built in router DNS. By making an exemption you are simply allowing the client to bypass this server. Otherwise it would be forced into it.

As for taking an amount of time for ads to return, clients tend to cache data.
Force them to re-fetch and it will be ok.
I see - makes sense now. Thanks.

arejaytee

Post by arejaytee »

Lantis wrote:If you exempt an IP, you must then force that client to use a different DNS server (e.g. Google DNS).
May want to put this in below the checkbox for the exemptions.