TL-WDR3600, running v1.8.1, intermittently reboots

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: TL-WDR3600, running v1.8.1, intermittently reboots

Post by Lantis »

Information on changing log levels and output
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/log.essentials

Have you tried Openwrt?
This kind of problem is almost certainly not isolated to Gargoyle, which would mean it also affects the Openwrt subsystem.
That would make it something that we can't look into/fix easily.
However if you're running 1.8.1 you're also running an outdated Openwrt version which is unlikely to be looked at. It may have even been fixed.
1.9.1 (or an even later version from the community builds) is my recommendation.

If you can isolate it to Gargoyle I can look at it closer. But I've never heard of it before.

If you post the logs here I'll look at them.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

also need to consider broken hardware.

Cachorro

Post by Cachorro »

Lantis wrote:Information on changing log levels and output

Have you tried Openwrt?
This kind of problem is almost certainly not isolated to Gargoyle, which would mean it also affects the Openwrt subsystem.
However if you're running 1.8.1 you're also running an outdated Openwrt version which is unlikely to be looked at. It may have even been fixed.
1.9.1 (or an even later version from the community builds) is my recommendation.

If you can isolate it to Gargoyle I can look at it closer. But I've never heard of it before.

Thank you Lantis.
I have not tried OpenWRT on this router. Have had it running Gargoyle since I bought it about 3yrs now (when it replaced our old TP-Link 1043).

Will try using 1.9.1... but, like I said, I have always stuck with stable, well, because I had the understanding that it was. Stable.

Here is one example I found of someone having the same problem as me (however, I did not try to sniff the network, yet).

I will PM you with some log examples I have gathered.

Thanks.
Last edited by Cachorro on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cachorro

Post by Cachorro »

tapper wrote:Hi mate you need to flash this build.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10777

1.8.1 is verry buggy.
I have 2 wdr3600 routers on this build one as a bridge and one as a AP at my sister's house. The thing about c7's getting bricked is from a old build and does not matter any more. 1.8.1 has so many bugs it will be like platting snot trying to find out just witch one is making your router reboot. 1.9.1 has a new build of openwrt as a base and a newer kernel witch will keep you safer.
Thanks Tapper for the info.
Always thought "stable" was just that. At least, over experimental.

Will try it and see how I go.
I do have quite a big setup and that also puts me off upgrading, as I have to add in all the rules, quotas, MAC address pools, DDNS, DNS masquing/restricting, etc. Now also, Syslog-ing to external server. ;)
Cheers!

Cachorro

Post by Cachorro »

ispyisail wrote:also need to consider broken hardware.
Could be... but why does it not 'crash reboot' when NOT using this one PC with Win10?

Cachorro

Post by Cachorro »

Cachorro wrote:
Lantis wrote:Information on changing log levels and output

Have you tried Openwrt?

Thank you Lantis.
I have not tried OpenWRT on this router. Have had it running Gargoyle since I bought it about 3yrs now (when it replaced our old TP-Link 1043).

Will try using 1.9.1... but, like I said, I have always stuck with stable, well, because I had the understanding that it was. Stable.

Here are a couple examples I found of people having the same problem as me (however, I did not try to sniff the network, yet).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... r_windows/

http://superuser.com/questions/970777/w ... constantly

http://superuser.com/questions/1125049/ ... ully-reset

I will PM you with some log examples I have gathered.

Thanks.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi mate if you make a backup of some of the files from your router using WinSCP you can save you some time.
Back them up to your PC and then flash and coppy them across.
/etc/hosts
/etc/ethers
/etc/config/dhcp
/etc/config/firewall
/etc/firewall.user
If you copy any of thees files pleas test that the router does not reboot before you put them back to your router just encase the issue is in one.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Cachorro

Post by Cachorro »

tapper wrote:Hi mate if you make a backup of some of the files from your router using WinSCP you can save you some time.
Back them up to your PC and then flash and coppy them across.
/etc/hosts
/etc/ethers
/etc/config/dhcp
/etc/config/firewall
/etc/firewall.user
If you copy any of thees files pleas test that the router does not reboot before you put them back to your router just encase the issue is in one.
Thanks Tapper.
Yes! That's a good point, specially for the ones not aware.

I did just that, and a few other files:
/etc/config/ddns_gargoyle
/etc/config/email
/etc/config/network
/etc/config/system
/etc/config/wireless

Unit has been working for almost 2 days now, not one glitch!
And using Windows10 PC regularly.
:)

Thanks for the tip!
(still, took me about an 1 1/2 hrs to get done; start to finish).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Just for the future, bringing the network/system config between major versions is a big no no and could go very badly.
Looks like you were lucky.

But i would NEVER advocate preserving that file unless people know what they are doing.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Cachorro

Post by Cachorro »

Lantis wrote:Just for the future, bringing the network/system config between major versions is a big no no and could go very badly.
Looks like you were lucky.

But i would NEVER advocate preserving that file unless people know what they are doing.
Hi Lantis.
True.
I actually compared the new file and old files, then edited the new by copy/paste of the lines I wanted across from my existing system. And it worked. So far, no glitches.
;)