No VPN passthrough on x86 ver 1.12

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tourist

No VPN passthrough on x86 ver 1.12

Post by Tourist »

Hi
I have been using Gargoyle on a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 for some time. Every few months I had revert to the ISP modem when the TP seemed to have problems. I am very impressed with the features of Gargoyle and have enjoyed the bandwidth balancing etc. I get much better performance for 4 users with Gargoyle on my limited ADSL speed than I do with the crude process of setting hard limits with the Huawei router.

I wondered if there was a lack of processing grunt with the TP-Link as often the charts wouldn't display etc. Theoretically not? But it was often associated with home network issues, causing me to revert for a time to the ISP router.

So - I have recently moved to Gargoyle 1.12 on pc. (thanks to Lantis and a few other posts I found installation not too bad. I'm a GoogleFu, Copy, Paste technician. Not particularly expert in config etc)

Everything was working well untill I needed to log into work.
I cannot establish a connection. I get two different error messages from two different Windows 10 machines when trying to make a VPN connection.

I did not have this problem when running 1.10 on the WDR4300.

Error occures on two different PC's connecting to the same work network with two different VPN connections.

VPN type is PPTP

1) I get the following error message. Standard MS error I guess.
Remote connection not made because the attempted VPN tunnes failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an S2TP/IPsec tunnl, the securitp paramteres required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly.

2) On the other connection I get
The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common ccause for this failure is that at least one Interent device )for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem presists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider

I tried installing mod-nf-nathelper-extra - but message came back to say that is already installed.

Anybody got suggestions for next step.

(I can make suggestions on the VPN type to our IT provider. What works for a windows environment that might work better with Gargoyle??)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lantis

Re: No VPN passthrough on x86 ver 1.12

Post by Lantis »

What version of 1.12? If it is 1.12.0, you're likely missing kmod-ipt-raw which is required to assign the CT helper for PPTP.

Later versions of 1.12 should work.
I think you can test it by temporarily setting your work device to DMZ so that all ports are allowed through.

OpenVPN works fine on PC devices. Wireguard is much more performant.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Tourist

Post by Tourist »

Thanks Lantis

Yes, version 1.12.0
I can only see this one in x86 downloads. Is there a later version available?

Will test as DMZ.

Can I add missing element with opkg kmod-ipt-raw
?

Thanks again.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No i don't think the ipt-raw kmod is available in the official repository so you won't be able to find one that matches the kernel unfortunately.

viewforum.php?f=14
In the show and tell forum there are 1.12.x builds and 1.13.x builds. Up to you what you'd like to try.

I'd check the DMZ first though before doing anything else.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Tourist

Post by Tourist »

Thanks for the advice. Currently using DMZ as this works.

I tried 1.12.x and couldn't get an install (usb) to boot. Tried multiple approaches and repeated what worked for 1.12.0 but no luck.

I got 1.13.x to boot, but each time I tried using it the internet connection lasted a while then stuttered and would drop out.

1.12.0 working on x86 so am happy.

Thanks for all the work.

For any one searching Gargoyle on the internet: The big driver for me is better QOS on my 7Mb connection. This is a massive improvement over telco supplied router. The granularity of time management and download quotas are all miles ahead and useful for managing kids who otherwise forget to do school work.