Shaping Room mates Computer

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

stowaway

Shaping Room mates Computer

Post by stowaway »

I have installed Gargoyle,

and i am trying to shape my room mates computer to 50kbtyes.

I can only figure out how t shape the whole network.. .
I have given him a quota. which is fine. but i also want to slow him down.

I have tried QOS download and set the destination and source ip address (in 2 different rules) to his ip. but this doesnt seem to work.
any other ideas?

stowaway

Re: Shaping Room mates Computer

Post by stowaway »

well i figured it.

i think the trick was just moving hte rule to the top (setting the destination IP address and max kbs limit)

thanks!

i just hope he doesnt figure out to set his own IP address. sneaky bastard.. (i know i would)

alenhoff

Post by alenhoff »

if he does figure it out. set the ip statically with his mac address. unless he spoofs his mac address he will be unable to set his own ip :D

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

alenhoff: Actually, no. That won't work. Setting a static IP will guarantee that he gets that IP if he's configuring his system via DHCP. However if he configures his system with a static IP (which will require that he knows the gateway IP of the router, but that's easy to figure out if you configure via dhcp first), then he can have whatever IP he wants provided it isn't in use by another system and it's in the correct subnet.

The smart way to do what stowaway wants is for stowaway to configure his own systems to have specific IPs, and then configure QoS to give high throughput to those IPs. Then configure QoS to give poor/degraded service to ALL remaining IPs in the subnet. That way, no matter what his roommate's IP is, it will get the restricted level of service that stowaway wants to give him.

stowaway

Post by stowaway »

thanks Erik! thats what i'll do.

I'd also like to make a suggestion for future development..

at the moment you can set quotas.. and i asusme after the quota is up it just cuts them off.. I'd like to be able to set a quota and when its reached they are shaped further..

alenhoff

Post by alenhoff »

sorry i assumed that setting ip by mac address restricted the ip number used by the machine however i'm glad you corrected that for his benefit as well as my own knowledge for future. thanks