[Solved?]Adjust overlay size? (Also gargoyle mount settings)

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

TechMonkey

[Solved?]Adjust overlay size? (Also gargoyle mount settings)

Post by TechMonkey »

(Searched forum, didn't find much. I am at least passingly familiar w/ the extroot entry on the OpenWRT Wiki)

I have a 1G USB flash stick inserted (TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1), did the unmount/format with adding it as extroot. (And a percentage as swap, but not really relevant). Tried this on both production 1.8.1 and after a fresh upgrade to 1.9.1, default settings.

Drive is indeed formatted, /dev/sda1 however is mounted to /tmp/usb_mount/043f0ea6-01 (I assume a semi-random GUID).

"df -h" shows /rootfs (/) and /overlay (/dev/mtdblock3) is only 768k (320k free atm, but that will rapidly disappear)
How do I tell if the overlay is actually using the external flash storage or just internal flash/nand/whatever?

Ultimate goal is to either just use the whole of /dev/sda1 as the overlay, or in lieu of that, Increase /overlay size at least a few hundred k and reliably/automatically mount the rest of the drive (okay if it's another partition) to something like /mnt/USB1/

Any help/pointing to existing posts/documentation appreciated!

Edit: Conflated overlay w/ extroot

TechMonkey

Re: [Solved?]Adjust overlay size? (Also gargoyle mount setti

Post by TechMonkey »

(This should probably have been in the troubleshooting section, sorry.)

To answer my own "How to check for Extroot", (besides seeing size reflected in / and /overlay) when working it shows up in the USB Storage page. "External root detected on /dev/sda1."

My /etc/config/fstab had the following:

Code: Select all

config 'mount'
        option  target  '/mnt/sda1'
        option  uuid    'fa4821f9-09af-4327-a53a-ce1487a0b195'
        option  enabled '0'

config 'swap'
        option  device  '/dev/sda2'
        option  enabled '0'
Changing option target to '/overlay', and both enabled to '1' and rebooting, worked for enabling both the extroot and swap. (This might be a bug in the "Format disk, enable swap, and Use disk as external root" section.)