Settings location

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

eierfrucht

Settings location

Post by eierfrucht »

Dear sirs!

I would love to migrate from 1.6.X to 1.9.1 on a number of routers in my building; however, it's vital that DHCP / FIREWALL / MAC FILTER / QOS rules be preserved (dozens of them) I don't think it's possible by checking "Try to preserve settings" before the upgrade process, so the question is: how do I do it manually? Is it possible to copy some lines from certain files inside the firmware then insert them back into the newer files of updates firmware? If so, which files should I check?

ispyisail

Re: Settings location

Post by ispyisail »

yes, from command line only

It will take time and unless you have a lot of routers it might be quicker to set each router manually

There are posts on this forum on how to do it.

you could use a small script through "plink"

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi install winSCP on a windows PC. Log on to your router then look for these files:

/etc/config/dhcp
/etc/config/firewall
/etc/config/qos_gargoyle
/etc/config/network
/etc/config/wireless
/etc/firewall.user
/etc/ethers
/etc/dnsmasq.conf
/etc/hosts
/etc/qos_class_marks

I think this mite work pleas test on just one router first. Take a back up of the router on 1.6.2 first and if it all goes tits up you can just flash back to 1.6.2 and upload the back up. Good luck.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

eierfrucht

Post by eierfrucht »

Thank you! We use Linux so ssh is available right from the command line.

The bad thing is, /etc/config/dhcp does not contain dhcp bindings. And no other file in /etc/config does.

We've got about 120 machines assigned static IPs on the head router, and I don't feel like re-typing all that stuff by hand.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Check /etc/ethers and /etc/hosts as listed above.
You need both files together.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.