Gargoyle polish repo

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

jenom

Gargoyle polish repo

Post by jenom »

there is a nice gargoyle repo at:

http://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/

anybody know, if those firmwares are polish only or maybe english too ?

thanks

tapper

Re: Gargoyle polish repo

Post by tapper »

Hi there. they are in English to. I ran one of thos builds on my WD-N750 for a wile.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

jenom

Post by jenom »

thanks, I will give it a try
looks like a well organized place
wish I could get "ispyisail" excellent builds from a repo like this
his torrents are a PITA to deal with

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

They're the same thing just on a website lol.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

jenom

Post by jenom »

they come with both polish and english language installed
on login page one of the two language is selectable
however, polish language package is installed "permanently", so it is not removable......wasting space on my mini 8 mb memory

petbrau

Post by petbrau »

The polish repo of gargoyle is much better than the official one.
Additional styles
Additional plugins
and a professional way of distribution, where an update contains also the plugin incl. the language files.

On the official gargoyle home page, no snapshot versions are available.
No beta and no release candidates...
...and if a new version of Gargoyle is published, Eric has to correct it very often.

Ispyisail tries to overcome this, but only the firmware files are updated.
...and a torrent client is needed, which is very uncomfortable for most users.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

petbrau wrote:The polish repo of gargoyle is much better than the official one.
Additional styles
Additional plugins
and a professional way of distribution, where an update contains also the plugin incl. the language files.

On the official gargoyle home page, no snapshot versions are available.
No beta and no release candidates...
...and if a new version of Gargoyle is published, Eric has to correct it very often.

Ispyisail tries to overcome this, but only the firmware files are updated.
...and a torrent client is needed, which is very uncomfortable for most users.
You can install the additional styles and plugins into this version by adding the repository. If there is something in particular you are missing, why not add it to the official repo? Contribution is welcome.

Cezary does on average 3 incremental updates per official release if I had to guess.

Betas and release candidates are freely available on the forum. Do you need to be able to see them from the main website?
And I don't understand what you mean by "Eric has to correct official releases often"? The polish repo is based on the same code with a few tweaks. So any fixes on this one must be carried into the polish one.
Due to the nature of causality and it being impossible to release a version of software on a derivative line before the main release, you're going to see less bugs because they have time to absorb them all.

Ispy performs a great service to the community free of charge.
Torrents are perfectly fine. And even if people aren't comfortable with torrents, I make the files available on my site usually within 12 hours.
Further, I'm sure if you asked him for a particular plugin, he would make that available for you.

Please offer suggestions on how this repo can improve. I'd honestly like to hear them.
But for change to occur we need time (limited), resources (limited) and people willing to do the work (limited).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.