Can I use my existing router?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

DaveZ

Can I use my existing router?

Post by DaveZ »

Hi all, sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part, I'm not real savvy when it comes to routers/modems etc.

Anyway, I'm using a D-Link DSL 2890AL as my modem/router, which I don't think is compatible with using Gargoyle. Is there a cost effective way that I can add a simple compatible router to the system and just shut off the WiFi on the D-Link? If not, I will have to find an inexpensive, compatible modem/router to replace it. We not long bought the D-Link but now need a way to monitor/control WiFi usage in our home :cry: :roll:

Dave.

Lantis

Re: Can I use my existing router?

Post by Lantis »

Your existing D-Link is not compatible.

Your assumption to add a cheap router and turn off the wifi on the d link is correct.
However, cheap routers often have lack lustre performance.
What kind of internet speed do you have?

I would steer clear of modem/router combos. Gargoyle does not support them.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

We have ADSL2 internet, which gives decent speed, but nothing to brag about. A quick speedtest shows 3.6 Mb/s but that's with a teenager also hogging bandwidth, hence my desire for this software :( Should I stick with the D-link, or abandon that in favour of something else? I don't mind spending a little so long as I get control back of my internet.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

That's the sort of thing I was looking at. So that will allow me to monitor and control who uses the WiFi data and how much they use? And I should be able to just hook that router up to me D-link with an ethernet cable and shut down the WiFi on the D-link? Just checking I have the mechanics of it correct in my head. I somehow expected the solution to be more expensive.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help.
Dave.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

DaveZ wrote:That's the sort of thing I was looking at. So that will allow me to monitor and control who uses the WiFi data and how much they use? And I should be able to just hook that router up to me D-link with an ethernet cable and shut down the WiFi on the D-link? Just checking I have the mechanics of it correct in my head. I somehow expected the solution to be more expensive.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help.
Dave.
Its not perfect but It mostly does what you have written.

High speed internet is a problem and blocking web sites also doesn't work that well due to most sites being encrypted these days (That's my understanding anyway)

If you have high speed internet you need a different router

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

I don't think our internet would be classified as "high speed". On a good day you might see around 10Mb/s on a speedtest site, but that's about it. Blocking websites isn't really an issue either, it's more being able to limit total data usage. We have a teenager who will quite happily burn our whole months quota, leaving us with throttled internet speed, and lie to our faces and tell us it wasn't him. He only has WiFi access, so I think this will work OK.

Thanks,
Dave.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Gargoyle is for you then

I think all the routers can handle 10Mb/s

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Thanks for all your help guys, I've ordered the Gargoyle Gigabit Router, so hopefully we will soon regain control :) It's a shame the current Australian exchange rate turns an $80 item into a $200 item, but so be it, it'll be worth it to get rid of the frustration.

Cheers,
Dave.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

DaveZ wrote:Thanks for all your help guys, I've ordered the Gargoyle Gigabit Router, so hopefully we will soon regain control :) It's a shame the current Australian exchange rate turns an $80 item into a $200 item, but so be it, it'll be worth it to get rid of the frustration.

Cheers,
Dave.
Just think of it as purchase with donation.

You should update firmware as soon as you get it. Many bugs have been fixed.