Can I use my existing router?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

DaveZ

Re: Can I use my existing router?

Post by DaveZ »

So the router is here :) I've got it set up and am connected through it with my phone and PC, all seems to be working well at this point. A couple of Q's though.

Can I somehow rename all the wireless devices that will connect to the router with an easy name so I know exactly what each device is? Eg - Zack's iPod.

Can I set this up so that I have to approve each new device that wants to connect? If not, what is to stop someone getting a new device and bypassing restrictions with that? Or even changing the IP address of their device?

Thank you,
Dave.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Also, is there a way to see total data used by each device or user without having a quota in place? Or do i need to set quotas for each user to get a data readout?

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

DaveZ wrote:Can I somehow rename all the wireless devices that will connect to the router with an easy name so I know exactly what each device is? Eg - Zack's iPod.
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... -teenagers
DaveZ wrote:Can I set this up so that I have to approve each new device that wants to connect?
Set a very small quota for "All Hosts without Explicit Quotas (Combined)
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Thank you. I think I'm getting it worked out to do exactly what we need it to do :)

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

nworbnhoj wrote:Set a very small quota for "All Hosts without Explicit Quotas (Combined)
This is how I have set it up now, thank you :)

Is there any way I can see who is using this quota up? I know a small amount was used during initial setup, while I created rules for everyones devices, but it is now maxed out, would be nice to be able to find the device responsible ;) ;)

Cheers,
Dave.