Website Monitoring / Bandwidth Monitoring

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

davereid

Website Monitoring / Bandwidth Monitoring

Post by davereid »

Hi all,
I have been advised to come here to assist with my TP Link Archer C7 (v2) router as it wasnt playing nice. Long story short, using the updated firmware for the C7 - its now installed and behaving brilliantly. so thank you to all who are involved in this project.

I have a question however around website monitoring and bandwidth monitoring.

I have my gargoyle router in gateway mode as i am essentially using my Archer C7 as an AP and switch only. I have a main firewall separately.

My question is that i have wireless devices attached to the Archer and its cabled to my main router, but when i visit websites on my phone / laptop (which is wirelessly connected to Archer running gargoyle) i dont get any records of it kept.

I have ensured that its enabled and its monitoring all IP's

which brings me to the second part, in the bandwidth monitoring, it only shows the gargoyles IP (not any attached IP's)

is this right?

thanks guys.

Lantis

Re: Website Monitoring / Bandwidth Monitoring

Post by Lantis »

That feature only works on traffic that goes through the WAN connection and hence the firewall.

How do you have your connection configured specifically?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

davereid

Post by davereid »

lantis thanks for the quick reply. that will answer why im seeing whats happening.

"Upstairs AP" (TPLink Archer C7 v2 with Gargoyle firmware from your post in another thread) LAN connected to:
"Downstairs AP" (another TP Link Archiver C7 v2 - stock TP Link firmware).

If i understand what you are saying, if i connect my WAN port from the "Upstairs AP" to the cable connected to "Downstairs AP" i will get the info ?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think you've got it, but to clarify anyway.

Main Router LAN -> Gargoyle WAN.

Connect Via: DHCP Wired.
Set router IP to be within the subnet of the main router.
At the DHCP configuration page, disable the DHCP server.

This will allow all devices to be on the same subnet regardless of which AP they connect to. Anyone connected to the gargoyle will flow through the firewall and therefore should have their traffic accounted for.

I believe this is the correct config however i am signing off for the evening so cannot test. If you still are struggling tomorrow i will test it on my own device.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

davereid

Post by davereid »

Thanks for the reply Lantis

I will give it a go as you suggested however just a question aroundthe WAN port.

should i set this as extended lan (or whatever the option is sorry im not infront of it). I presume this settings makes the WAN port act as another LAN port?

Otherwise i will just set my WAN interface to DHCP and attach it to the LAN port of the non gargoyle.

cheers

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Once you switch from Connect Via "disabled" to "DHCP Wired" the option to extend the LAN to the WAN port will disappear anyway so no need to worry :)

Make a backup of your settings first as always!

davereid

Post by davereid »

Thanks Lantis - well it kinda worked :)

i changed it to DHCP Wired and plugged the uplink into the WAN port.

Whilst the gargoyle router did get an IP from my main router, i couldnt connect to its management or wirelessly as a client.

simple fix, put the uplink back into the lan port and its back and working.

just to clarify what i am after is this:

Downstairs AP (this is my main router / does all the routing etc, DHCP / NAT / Firewall etc) this is currently running standard TP Link firmware. This is cabled directly to my Gargoyle Router. What i essentially want this to be is "just a switch with wired and wireless interfaces" but have hte ability to see bandwidth and other stats correctly

so i dont want double nat'ing / it to be in its own subnet etc.

It may not be possible - and thats ok, i just should get gargoyle on my main router downstairs which is the easy fix, but would rather play with my spare router first up before making other changes :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Ahh sorry i misunderstood your initial intentions.

This is not possible when Gargoyle is configured into a "dumb switch".
You are right that you probably want Gargoyle on your main AP :)