Need Help Regarding ping spikes

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

greyfreak19

Need Help Regarding ping spikes

Post by greyfreak19 »

so i have had gargoyle for a while now my qos is running fine but the issue is that i have noticed is that sometimes i have a ping spike mid game even tough acc is working it goes upto ~200 ms and back to 120ms or so the ping spikes are annoying however i noticed that when monitoring the ACC which pings to my ISP default Gateway it suddenly spikes from ~20ms to 200-300ms and back so i found that if i download a torrent pings will be fine but if i were downloading a torrent and open like 5tabs in chrome my ping would spike up and down until they load this can be annoying in games and bursts of data can make my internet lag for a couple of seconds i tried diffrent firmware versions but same results atm qos only works if the network usage was constant if it were spiking up and down like alot of users opening and closing tabs in chrome i would get pings spikes it shows them in ACC. idk if this could by my ISP fault my DSL Modem's fault or my line that could be in bad condition i use a DSL line 4mbit connection and wanted to upgrade to 8mbit but i wanted to confirm the problem first so it dosent turn out that QOS performs even worse is this a gargoyle issue or what? does anyone know what could be causing this?

encro

Re: Need Help Regarding ping spikes

Post by encro »

Screenshots of your settings would be nice to help assist with diagnosing what is happening plus your approximate up and down link speeds.

It sounds like a you are experiencing ACC kicking in to compensate for the spike. You may want to experiment with turning off ACC and lowering your total allowed bandwidth to see if that is what is occurring.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

pkm

Re: Need Help Regarding ping spikes

Post by pkm »

Gargoyle isn't meant to be perfect though. If someone is downloading while im playing i still get ping spikes into the 200s.