High end install - good hardware

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

psycik

High end install - good hardware

Post by psycik »

So what would be the "flagship" router that gargoyle capable? My WR1043ND I think, is getting a bit overwhelmed. I have a 100 mbit/20 mbit fibre connection.

Something with 5 gigabit ports - maybe wireless - but I'm not too fussed by that (have two other old routers for APs. Supports

I love the gargoyle interface, so would prefer to stay with it. I also pull the usage stats off the machine every 15 mins for storage - so that's another factor to why I'd prefer to stay.

I need to vlan tagging to work, as I've not had success with my tplink routers, but others have (yes I understand it's not built in).

Recommendations for hardware?

ericwong

Re: High end install - good hardware

Post by ericwong »

Do you mean you are using the 1043nd v1 currently?

You can try the 1043nd v2 or Archer C7 but it will not deliver 100M internet if you enable Quota and/or QoS.

I have been looking out for models that can sustain 100M internet when Quota and/or QoS is enabled but have not found one supported by Openwrt/Gargoyle.

Since I have upgraded to Archer C7 and getting disappointed with the 5Ghz WiFi's range, I am just going to wait for a wave 2 AC capable router running Gargoyle but I think it is going to take a while before Openwrt/Gargoyle supports it because AC support on the Archer C7 is still experimental/beta.

My own test on my 100M connection shows with QoS enabled but Quota disabled using Gargoyle 1.8.1
1043nd v1 - 40Mbps
Archer C7 - 50-60Mbps
(1043nd v2 should have similar result as Archer C7 because it is using the same SoC.)

QoS and Quota enabled using Gargoyle 1.8.1
1043nd v1 - 30Mbps
Archer C7 - 40Mbps

Note: your result is likely to be different because you will be using a different set of QoS rules and Quota settings than I do. Using less or minimum QoS rules will help to reduce cpu load to allow higher throughput.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

psycik

Post by psycik »

Im using a V2 WR1043nd currently. Potentially looking for something else that will keep up at least with my 100MBit connection....or is we get faster with work for that as well.

Looking at some of the Linksys open source dd-wrt compatible routers, or mitrotik routerboards - anything with a bit of grunt.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

psycik wrote:Im using a V2 WR1043nd currently. Potentially looking for something else that will keep up at least with my 100MBit connection....or is we get faster with work for that as well.
If you disable both Quota and QoS on Gargoyle, it will handle 100M connection on v1 or v2 easily ;)

Otherwise, what I did was try to reduce/optimize my QoS/Quota rules to reduce cpu load, so it can reach higher bandwidth.

What matters is what software/feature you need to use on the router.... You could have used the factory firmware which should be faster than Gargoyle/Openwrt due to hardware NAT.

FYI, my bandwidth was as low as 7Mbps on 1043nd v1 before I reduce my rules.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think the wrt1900ac would do it but I can't test.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

psycik

Post by psycik »

Lantis wrote:I think the wrt1900ac would do it but I can't test.
Yeah that's probably the one I'd heard of. That's a fairly new model right? So would expect the RAM/CPU in it to be relatively current.

@eric - I only have one quota set up for a guest network...and after going to UFB I think I turned off most of my QOS. I'm also not using the wireless on my router...using a spark supplied HG630b for a wireless AP instead.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

This model is very expensive... and it is dual cpu.

Btw, does anyone know if Beam forming on the wrt1900ac works under Openwrt/Gargoyle?

I read somewhere that Openwrt currently only support single cpu and only one cpu will be utilized. It will be a waste to use a dual core cpu when only one core is used.

Until I see reports indicating support of multiple cpu for Openwrt, I will not consider anything with more than one cpu for Openwrt/Gargoyle.
Last edited by ericwong on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Wong

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

psycik wrote: @eric - I only have one quota set up for a guest network...and after going to UFB I think I turned off most of my QOS. I'm also not using the wireless on my router...using a spark supplied HG630b for a wireless AP instead.
Turn off your bandwidth quota if you have it enabled. This will allow you to reach full speed of your UFB, i.e. 100M.

I have no issues going as fast as Vodafone UFB can handle on 1043nd V2, my upload speed was ~70Mbps on it ;)
I think my limitation is my computer being too slow to run speedtest at 100Mbps.

If you only have one QoS rule, then it should not make much difference to your bandwidth test. Try compare the speedtest result without QoS and bandwidth quota and make sure your test is done via ethernet because WiFi max throughput on v2 is only around 50Mbps.
Eric Wong

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ericwong wrote:
This model is very expensive... and it is dual cpu.

Btw, does anyone know if Beam forming on the wrt1900ac works under Openwrt/Gargoyle?

I read somewhere that Openwrt currently only support single cpu and only one cpu will be utilized. It will be a waste to use a dual core cpu when only one core is used.

Until I see reports indicating support of multiple cpu for Openwrt, I will not consider anything with more than one cpu for Openwrt/Gargoyle.
Openwrt is using both CPUs in this device. Currently the services are divided very well. Most users manually move the wifi to one CPU and leave the LAN/WAN on the other which improves performance under heavy traffic.

Gargoyle has the multi CPU support built in for IMQ, however it isn't implemented. That would allow multi CPU leverage for quotas etc as far as I can work out.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Lantis wrote:Gargoyle has the multi CPU support built in for IMQ, however it isn't implemented.
Does this means using a multi cpu router on Gargoyle for the time being will result in the 2nd cpu being idle and not fully utilized?
Eric Wong