Inbound FIrewall configuration help

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

charli181

Inbound FIrewall configuration help

Post by charli181 »

OK - Just installed Gargoyle 1.8 for my Archer C7 this week and finding it absolutely great to resolve some of my network issues. Thanks to all involved .

Now onto my question, I run an email server on my network and have the appropriate mail ports forwarded to the mail server. This is working fine. My issue is that I get hack attempts all the time and although my mail server has the function to block the IP after X failed attempts, I would like to go one further and block/drop these addresses at the router firewall.

I have been searching around and the only thing I can find is back at the OpenWRT stie and using uci but now real examples of how to do it.

Another/better option i may have found is an opensource project called Firewall Builder, which is more to my liking as it is GUI based, not text based.

Am I missing something in Gargoyle or do I have to venture down the uci path...

Thansk in advance - Sean

nworbnhoj

Re: Inbound FIrewall configuration help

Post by nworbnhoj »

uci is the basic configuration engina for openwrt and Gargoyle it built on top of openwrt. So uci is completely functional at the comand line under Gargoyle. However, be aware that if you make special uci changes then they may be overwritten when next you make changes in the Gargoyle GUI
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E