Open WRT --> Gargoyle TP-WR841v10

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Ducatiboy Stu

Open WRT --> Gargoyle TP-WR841v10

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Hi Guys

How do you install Gargoyle on a router that has Open WRT 15.05 ?

The router is a TP-Link WR841N v10 that I have Open WRT working on succesfully

WR841Nv10 does not have an official Gargoyle release yet so I am trying to see if the v9 release will load into it

I have tried the Gargoyle WR8421v9 thru Luci but it wont load, comes back with " The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format" when I try to load to load the (gargolyversion)-sysupgrade.bin file. Have tried both the factory.bin sysupgrade.bin without luck.

Have tried renaming etc but no luck...

Any ideas....any help would be appreciated
Brewer of Beer
Driver of a Morris Minor Ute
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk
Comms Tech for many years

danymarc

Re: Open WRT --> Gargoyle TP-WR841v10

Post by danymarc »

Ducatiboy Stu wrote:I have tried the Gargoyle WR8421v9 thru Luci but it wont load
Keep trying, and if you get lucky you will end up with a brick

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

MMm...A brick....well I suppose I could start to build a house with them :D

So basically until there is a Gargoyle v10 for this WR841 I will spend much time pulling hair and using bad language..

Which is strange as the open WRT works fine on it and I would have thought that Gargoyle would be able to work over the top of open WRT.

I have V8 & v9 of the WR841 on Gargoyle and they are fine ( althought this was a straight from factory --> Gargoyle flash )
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Ducatiboy Stu wrote: WR841Nv10 does not have an official Gargoyle release yet so I am trying to see if the v9 release will load into it

I have tried the Gargoyle WR8421v9 thru Luci but it wont load, comes back with " The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format" when I try to load to load the (gargolyversion)-sysupgrade.bin file. Have tried both the factory.bin sysupgrade.bin without luck.
This is a build-in protection to stop idiots like you from bricking the router from flashing incompatible ROM.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

ericwong wrote: This is a build-in protection to stop idiots like you from bricking the router from flashing incompatible ROM.
Well that does make a lot of sense, I just thought there may have been a slim chance that it could work
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'm here to be the bearer of other bad news, but it's looking like we won't be doing 4MB routers, so support for the V10 is looking not good.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

Lantis wrote:I'm here to be the bearer of other bad news, but it's looking like we won't be doing 4MB routers, so support for the V10 is looking not good.
as you have posted in Feature Request
I will no longer be accepting requests for routers with 4MB of flash. The images no longer reliably fit into this size and it is a counterproductive use of my time and yours.