Guest Newtork as the only wireless option

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

thunderdust

Guest Newtork as the only wireless option

Post by thunderdust »

I have a Guest Network set up as a second SSID, but I really don't need the first non-guest SSID (I want all wireless traffic to go through this guest network SSID).

Is there a way to disable the non-guest wireless SSID? I don't see a way in the GUI, but perhaps that is just for simplicity. Or perhaps I don't have a good understanding of what the guest network actually is. Is it kind of a shared signal with the non-guest (I'm thinking about that because the Guest network can't be set to a different channel compared to non-guest)?

SETUP: DIR-615 C1 with 1.9.0. Working superbly!

jd45321

Re: Guest Newtork as the only wireless option

Post by jd45321 »

I'm not an expert, but I understand the Guest network to just be a normal network with Wireless Client Isolation enabled. If you can not setup the guest network by itself, why not just set up the normal network, call it "Guest" and set Wireless Client Isolation: as enabled.

thunderdust

Post by thunderdust »

I tried "Wireless Client Isolation" and found that those wireless devices could:

1. Still see all WIRED connections; but
2. Not see other WIRELESS connections

From my trial run, "Wireless Client Isolation" only prevents you from seeing other WIRELESS devices. So it doesn't act the same way as a Guest zone. I'd be very interested (and surprised) if other people had a different experience than me with the "Wireless Client Isolation".

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

jd45321 wrote:I understand the Guest network to just be a normal network with Wireless Client Isolation enabled.
The Guest network implementation is quite different to the "normal network" with Wireless Client isolation.

What @thunderdust is looking for will require a code change.

But as @jd54321 suggests, having a dedicated Gargoyle router for Guests, with Wireless Client isolation turned on, and no wired clients is the easiest way to achieve this.

Alternatively, login via ssh and make some manual changes to iptables
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E